Google Runs 3-month Old Video as Super Bowl Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieceMaker42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
It was a great commercial that demonstrates how central search engines have been to our lives since their induction only a few short years ago. Where we get our knowledge now is so different from a few years ago. It is amazing how things can change in a decade.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
1 Billion people watched the Super Bowl? There's 300 Million people in America. So you are telling me that every single person in the United States was watching the Super Bowl plus an additional 700 Million people from around the world that have nothing to do with American football? Where do you get your facts?

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]1 Billion people watched the Super Bowl? There's 300 Million people in America. So you are telling me that every single person in the United States was watching the Super Bowl plus an additional 700 Million people from around the world that have nothing to do with American football? Where do you get your facts?[/citation]

That's no doubt a big number, but you're forgetting that American T.V. shows are broadcast worldwide. Heck do you think only Germany and Brazil (I know there are A LOT more countries than that) watch FIFA? Popular sports events like this don't pertain to just the home country.

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]1 Billion people watched the Super Bowl? There's 300 Million people in America. So you are telling me that every single person in the United States was watching the Super Bowl plus an additional 700 Million people from around the world that have nothing to do with American football? Where do you get your facts?[/citation]

Ironically, perhaps the nfl commentaries which you can find a debunk to on the first page of a google search using the relevant keywords?
And I quote:

“available to an estimated worldwide audience of 750 million to 1 billion people.”
“We do know U.S. viewership because Nielsen tells us,” McCarthy added.

However, Nielsen cannot pinpoint how many people watch the game beyond American borders because “we are only able to track national numbers,” said Brandi Preston, a spokeswoman for Nielsen Media Research.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Just watched the video, and a quote from the movie Fight Club best sums up my reaction to is:

"My father never went to college so it was really important I go to college. After college, I called him long distance and said, now what?
My dad didn't know, so he said get a job.

"When I got a job and turned twenty-five, long distance, I said, now what? My dad didn't know, so he said, get married.

"I'm a thirty-year-old boy, and I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer I need."

-----------------------------------------------------------

That, or Lard's song 'Mate, Spawn, and Die' - for those who don't know, an excerpt:

"In one corner of the ring
That cherished myth
Falling in love magically solves
Every problem you've ever had

In the other corner
Spoon size shredded dreams
The Gods must be lazy
The movie goers must be crazy"

G

Worldwide TV viewers don't see the US commercials anyway so remove a zero from that count...

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I'm not from the us and I watched it. I know most of my friends, who are also not from the us (Europe, Australia, Canada) watched it.
The ads were local though, so no Google ad here (Canada).

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I thought it was a good commercial, very effective, although boring visuals.

Personally, I have nothing that would impress a French girl unless she likes southern accents.

bennyaltuca

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
the kiler was the crib. thats the main reason for people liking it so much.. and here in mexico i know to many people watched the superbowl.

also, tho i didnt watch i know that they did air american commercials here.

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Yeah the actual number I heard in the news was 100 million. There is no way in hell it was 1 billion people. Not even half of people in the US watched it. And outside of the US no one gives a shit about American football, so the viewership of SB outside of the US can be estimated at roughly zero people. I think tom's just needs to count its zeroes.

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]PieceMaker42[/nom]since their induction only a few short years ago.[/citation]

What!? Where have you been the last 15 years? hahaha

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]flea420[/nom]What!? Where have you been the last 15 years? hahaha[/citation]
For people over 20, 15 years is the shortest long time imaginable.

king421

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
pretty sure Super Bowl doesn't have 1 billion viewers worldwide. That's the number for the World Cup, not the Super Bowl.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Smart. Ad space during the super bowl is already LOTS and LOTS of money. Google saved money by not making a new commercial.

tag_24

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
How is "jobs in Paris" relate to USA SuperBowl?

USA economy is so bad that Google promote emigration from USA to France now?

tj_the_first

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
"Available to 1 billion viewers". Available being the key word.

This ad is so Google - simple, uncluttered and functional. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.