Google Shows Off Two New Chrome OS Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Too bad Hulu and Netflix only work in one out of more than 200 nations.[/citation]

Well thats too bad. Good thing I live in the U.S. ;)

G

Woah... definately not buying.
With the limitations of Chrome OS, it should at max be less than $400 IMO

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I agree, it's a little too expensive for what you get. This is old technology simply squished into a tiny form factor, it should be cheaper since you aren't paying for an OS or anything cutting edge.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Too bad Hulu and Netflix only work in one out of more than 200 nations.[/citation]

You mean two out of more than 200 nations? Netflix works in Canada. Only Hulu works in only America.

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Why use a cloud OS when you can just use one on your own HDD/SSD? I don't understand how this would be better. The only thing I can think of is you wouldn't have to install any programs or any updates.

G

Agree with some comments. It's well overpriced for a little it can do. And what's the point to pay over $300 if the device can't even be used for MS Office? I'd think twice for spending half of what they are asking on it.. Specs are low and some outdated too.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I think the targeted audience for these devices are people who spends most of their time on the internet but want's more than an iPad. I know a few people that use their desktop computers mostly for internet application.

I'd buy one.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
2 usb ports is too little!
You can only hook up one keyboard and one mouse, and forget the external harddrive or printer or other USB device!
Laptops and netbooks need 3 USB ports (with preferably 1 of them USB 3)!

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Nothing about storage size on these things. I'm thinking the WiFi Samsung model would be nice (If the hardware is right) after ripping Google's OS off and installing Ubuntu.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Honestly, for Average-Joe/Jane computer user, a cloud OS is perfect. They can't screw it up, and I know some people who don't even realize you can use a computer when it's not connected to the internet. Working in a computer store, I see these every day. And the pricing seriously isn't outrageous for these. I don't think I'd own one to do any serious computing, but as far as my customers go, I could probably sell one easily, especially at that price, which, frankly, is competitive.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]2 usb ports is too little!You can only hook up one keyboard and one mouse, and forget the external harddrive or printer or other USB device!Laptops and netbooks need 3 USB ports (with preferably 1 of them USB 3)![/citation]

Ever heard of that little invention called a "USB hub"? More USB ports are always better, but 2 are perfectly enough for a laptop.
This is a netbook, not a desktop replacement.

btw: no bluetooth support? wtf? Is this the stone age?

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Netflix still sux in Canada. I just cancelled my subscription because of lack content. Oh well, I shouldnt really blame them... One day :p

G

I'm surprised they didn't go with the AMD Zacate dual 1.6GHz setup. The graphics are better than anything intel has to offer.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]chaos133[/nom]Why use a cloud OS when you can just use one on your own HDD/SSD? I don't understand how this would be better. The only thing I can think of is you wouldn't have to install any programs or any updates.[/citation]
Good point chaos133.

Status
Not open for further replies.