Google Shows Project Glass in Action with New Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Looks awesome, but I really can't see myself paying much more than $200-300 for them. If they are any more than that, I will have to pass.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I wonder if they will be available in prescription strengths or just as regular glasses with no corrective lens option. Speaking as someone who wears glasses if they are meant to be "slipped-over" your corrective lenses that really squashes the market for people who wear glasses.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I'm sure someone will make these glasses with corrective lens's. I agree that $1500 is a little to high for me to justify buying these but I'm sure in due time they will become more affordable.

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Give it time, be honest this is really cool. Yeah you don't need it to survive, it's not necessary, but it's some real star trek type stuff. Laforge is mad jelly right now. In regards to corrective lenses, thats a bad idea. Your vision changes over time, just wear contacts when you wear glass or get corrective surgery (contacts are sufficient). I might never buy this and I might never have a need for it but I'm glad someone is developing it. Also, workplace productivity in America will decrease 10000x due to people watching fap movies all day instead of actually working.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]yea at $1500 i wouldn't be able to justify them but really really want them. I am hoping they are sub $300 at which point game on i would definatly buy them[/citation]

Or just wait a few years after release and enjoy a much improved/cheaper version :)

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Those saying they wont pay more than 300 are not being realistic. I hope google doesn't sell for less than 500. This is a new type of tech that really deserves praise and a fair price for both consumer and google.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
(oops - submitted to fast)

Give it a year or so with increased production and apps/functionality and the prices will drop.

The eventual TRUE goal would be a contact-lens that ANYONE could wear.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]$199....sure might pick them as something to play around with...$1500? No chance...[/citation]
Suuure you will... they're Android-based, you will never touch them with a 10 foot pole. Glad you found the price as an excuse, NVM they're not even available for purchase yet, let alone the final price which is still unknown. Current model is just a developer edition.
If they were made by Apple... you would gladly pay the asking price. We know you from all your posts, you're just one of the Android haters out there.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]rocknrollz[/nom]Those saying they wont pay more than 300 are not being realistic. I hope google doesn't sell for less than 500. This is a new type of tech that really deserves praise and a fair price for both consumer and google.[/citation]I just don't see how they could possibly charge that much. I mean, I got my Nexus 4 for $350 and it does so much more. The display is different, but I would consider the $350 I spent on my phone a much better value than a $500 HUD. We don't really know tech specs or cost of manufacture, but from a consumer standpoint, I would not pay that much for what they do.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I suppose I'm just not social enough or not into documenting my life enough to be excited for this. It is such a great concept, and I love seeing computers and displays minimized so much to make this a reality. Great for the future of technology, and great for future research! Go Google!

[citation][nom]Chairman Ray[/nom]Not sure if pilots will be allowed to wear them, but really cool! Not sure if I would really like to pay $1500 though.[/citation]
That's why they showed GA pilots and not transport pilots. I'm not aware of any regulation that would prohibit Google Glass in GA planes.

f-14

Distinguished
sold!
i've been waiting on something like this for over 2 decades!
you think russian dash cams are exciting this will be fun for sports like paintball, competitions, games and just driving around town and those pesky keystone cops.

ght

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Think of how far the Iphone has come from its original release.
Google Glass in the future
Apps galore
possibly control with thoughts instead of voice
Think of siri 5.0 thats interfaced to your mind assisting and recalling all your experiences
Would become a six sense to your mind after prolonged use
Assisted work functions- eg rebuilding a motor, the glasses would provided visual cues, pointers and pickups.

Really people, integration as this level will change everything, you will no longer be in your own world on your mobile phone texting to your friends while life happens around you. Google is interfacing life around you to the technology in a way that brings both mobile and real life together and compliments it.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
will start at $1500 but will be under half that within a year or two - that's when they'll really start to take off.

I can see that headset making a badass heads up display for my motorcycle... heading, speed, nav all fully heads up. Hell could even integrate an IR camera for avoiding suicidal deer at night.

G

i hope the lenses are not shaped like rounded rectangles otherwise CRapple might sue

Status
Not open for further replies.