Google stopped from taking pictures for Google Street View in Portug

Status
Not open for further replies.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
The Portuguese National Commission for Data Protection (NCDP) prevented the U.S. firm Google to collect images in Portugal for the Street View service.

According to the online edition of the Express, the CNPD justified the decision because it believes that Google has yet to ensure that images of people and car registrations available in the service would not allow their identification.

Hmm, I was wondering what the heck a "Portug" was :p, but then realized THG probably cut off the title for length. I've been poor, and aboard a tug, but never both at once :D. At least my powers of deduction are undiminished, despite years of reading the for umz..

There was a news article on the front page, concerning some town using Google Maps to find residents with swimming pools built without any permits. Of course, the town portrayed this as a safety issue, but reality is they just want to get more taxes due to the higher assessment for the property now that it sports a pool. This raises the interesting prospect of warrantless (& thus illegal) search without cause, but I suspect it will be held in the same category as using a radar gun to catch speeders..

Hmm, I already have a $10 globe, but thanx anyway :D. Also have a nifty glass globe with coloured LED lights illuminating it from below, in a mesmerizing if gaudy pattern of flashes. Not too good for geography, but great if I still had a bong & used it :p.

My wife, who is still Vietnamese despite my best efforts :p, wants to buy or start a nail shop here in N. Virginia. Although in Saigon all the merchants selling the same wares tend to congregate on the same street (makes no sense, eh?), here in the USA we like to avoid too much competition in the same business and the same neighborhood. So I used Google Maps to spot all the nail shops in the vicinity of a couple of proposed lease sites. I showed the map to my wife, who immediately noticed the linked reviews of the various nail salons, and started reading those instead of paying attention to where we should locate her shop, since she knows employees or the owners of most of the shops. Sorta like accidently discovering somebody's dirty laundry :p.

So much for developing our "business plan" - much more entertaining to read about how the owner or some employee, who barely speaks English, amputated the customer's fingers at the elbow, causing the customer to write a bad review (using her toes no doubt) on the shop :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.