Google To Boost Android Security With New Linux Kernel Defense Mechanisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Google needs to force OEMs and Carriers to stop discontinue OS upgrades after one cycle or 2 years. There is no reason why my phone that came with ICS only received an update to JB then discontinued even though the hardware can support MM

The reality of the matter is that Google has no power to do this. Since they only make the software, and it is classified as open source, they in no way can control what the hardware manufacturer or the carrier does. Apple only gets to dictate market because the Carrier would take a huge hit in sales if they said no to Apple.

Now I would love to see basically all android phones be like a nexus, same ASOP android with near immediate updates to the latest OS; hell I would probably get a Samsung again if I could get constant updates (while keeping root) and no TouchWiz

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

When buying android smart phones the smartest thing a consumer can do is buy a phone that's most likely going to have Cyanogenmod support. And what determines whether a smart phone is going to have Cyanogenmod support or not is what chipset manufacturer the phone uses.

Smart phones from most Chinese ARM manufacturers don't make their source code public even though they're legally obligated to do it. But you really can't enforce copyright law in China so this likely will never change. These vendors usually consist of Rockchip, Mediatek, Allwinner, and Spreadtrum.

Buying instead ARM devices with Samsung, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Texas Instruments, and Freescale chips guarantees a much longer life for that device with third party Android ROMS like Cyanogenmod.

*The more you know Xenophobic buying habits were actually useful in this one circumstance*

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I'm never going back to android...
Force me to buy a new phone for the "privilege" of running the latest FREE freakin OS?

No thanks, I'll stick with my expensive crapple gear. At least I get free updates almost every month...

Samat

Distinguished
Google really needs to make it easier to push security fixes that don't require manufacturers to go through the whole process of building a whole new firmware.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

This is where Windows 10 mobile actually shines, MS can push cumulative patches on the phone without the need to make another build, and it goes live to all phones that use Win 10 mobile at that time, also they come at the same time as the Desktop variant comes.

Kimonajane

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Eric Schmidt is a foaming at the mouth leftists/globalist, as Google CEO he visited the White house well over a hundred times to see Obama, the liar from Kenya. Trust me when I tell you Android has back doors in it just like Microsoft's OS do.

Status
Not open for further replies.