Google Wave is a Giant Social Noticeboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Looks awesome, I mean, this is exactly how the whole thing should be done, I like facebook but there is no comparaison, I want to create a wave to share relevant info with relevant people, not navigate through a bunch of news about the stupid quizz my friends are taking

hallic7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Wow!!! Search Engine, Google Earth/Ocean, Browser, Desktop apps(gadgets), chat system, email, advertisements, docs, analytics, phones, social networks, OS!!! (What I'm missing??)

Google is taking over the IT earth!!! :O

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Looks convenient, and for a lot of people that is needed.
Instead of using multiple programs to do a bunch of stuff you use one.
For me not needed but may try, others it may just be what their looking for!

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I guess i'm just not getting this. So i make a wave and invite a few friends. We get some good stuff shared/conversations going/plans made. One of them wants to share that with a friend and adds them to the wave -- and again, and so forth. Soon you've got a pool of stuff, with just as much clutter as is now on facebook, and as many people that you don't REALLY know, and it becomes useless. I used FB all the time when it was just pics/messages for students. Now it's useless unless you want to broadcast information about your own awesomeness (no one cares)

suppliesidejesus

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I think that Google needs to calm down and stop trying to be the best at everything ever. Nobody likes a showoff, especially one that started out simply as a search engine.

Color me unimpressed.

G

I think it sounds really neat. It doesn't matter if it takes off, or flops. The key is they are pushing big changes. People challenging the norm generally help things along. If its no good, people won't use it. I have a feeling that it will take off and be huge.

bigbrother

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I think people need to move away from the monitor and go learn how to talk to people...face-to-face. We are creating a generation of socially and mentally depraved people through the over-use of Texting, Facebook, TWITter, and the like. The last thing we need as yet another reason to physically and emotionally isolate ourselves from one another. $0.02 deposited.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
microsoft, apple, google, all of them constantly try to change the way we use computers...
but I think google has the best solutions at it. the others make me feel that their changes go less towards helping me being more efficient, and more towards helping them in their quest for a greater market share and control.
nice job, google!

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
So Google is basically making a competitor to Twitter and Facebook? Why not just make Google Wave and integration of all the existing social networks instead of starting fresh as a competitor. Ex: I use Pigdin as a program to combine all my IMs, it has support for X-fire, Facebook IM, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc. The only thing I'm missing from that is Steam.

G

How many times have you and five other coworkers argued in e-mail about some particular aspect of your work, attaching documents, editing documents, inline comments, replies, side-instant-message-sessions, etc.? You do this when looking at sales opportunties; deciding on your marketing campaign; arranging for catering at your next business lunch; writing a technical spec; doing customer support.

What happens when three weeks later you try to remember what your decision was? Or who has the last most authoritative version of that design document? You've got to search your Exchange e-mail in your Outlook client to find it, because nobody put the final result in your file share. Or nobody updated the Wiki.

Google-Wave solves all that. The entire history of your entire argument. With cross-links between waves in wiki-like fashion. This product will kick bunda.

G

I worked for some years as a technical writer. Wave has promise of being *the* app for tech writing, especially if developers get on board and add complex formatting ability (things like multiple nested numbered lists--something Microsoft Word *still* gets wrong).

This has every possibility to be the first true "killer app" in many years.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Google is great! :)
I don't know why, but I always get the feeling that Google is closer and in a way at same side as its users. Not, for example Microsoft, where it feels like as they are trying to force the users over to the Microsoft's side. Google feels like a friendly company indeed!

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Milleman[/nom]Google is great! I don't know why, but I always get the feeling that Google is closer and in a way at same side as its users. Not, for example Microsoft, where it feels like as they are trying to force the users over to the Microsoft's side. Google feels like a friendly company indeed![/citation]

Lol i know the feeling your describing, it's basically google lures you with a good product while microsoft throws it in your face and tries to get you to get used to it and hopefully you will keep using it.

Kinda how MSN.com is your browser default homepage and Live is your default search provider. I know it's their product but it just feels like something that is forced upon you and not something you would pick over the competition.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
reading the article and have not tried Wave, this seems an easier to way to interact and communicate in a specific group or interest with a moderate amount of active daily users, probably less than one hundred daily members.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]andyviant[/nom] Soon you've got a pool of stuff, with just as much clutter as is now on facebook, and as many people that you don't REALLY know, and it becomes useless. [/citation]

This is EXACTLY what Google would try to solve. That is what they are famous for. This would be like comparing Google.com to Yahoo.com.

Think of all the clutter of facebook/myspace/twitter disappearing and then eating a big old plate of Google's awesomeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.