Google: We Can Be Trusted With Your Data

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azriel4444

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]babachoo[/nom]Google is evil. Avoid them and all of their products and services like the plague. Seriously.“If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place. But if you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines – including Google – do retain this information for some time. And it’s important, for example, that we’re all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act... it is possible that that information could be made available to the authorities.” ---Google CEO Eric Schmidt on your privacy and data[/citation]

I love how this quote used against Google, really tells the truth, but people only see the parts they want. Search ENGINES is plural. Bing, Yahoo (which is powered by BING) and your ISP, will turn over all the same info if you are investigated. In my experience, the ISP rolls over the fastest.

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I'll take google over apple just because they don't explode when they are criticized. I'll take them over Microsoft until Microsoft produces a better product that can compete browser wise with google. If it weren't for my job I'd use google docs for most things and just keep confidential information separate from the docs. One question comes to mind. Can you encrypt your data before uploading it to the cloud such as a document with personal information. Then from another location download it and then unencrypt it using google docs?

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
a better product that can compete browser wise with google. If it weren't for my job I'd use google docs for most things and just keep confidential information separate from the docs. One question comes to mind. Can you encrypt your data before uploading it to the cloud such as a document with personal information. Then from another location download it and then unencrypt it using google docs?

mishra_anant

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Invading privacy without the permission of those whose privacy is inflicted >> SPYING?! CHEATING?!

@Google > Whats Next?! > Stealing?!

mishra_anant

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
[citation][nom]matt314[/nom]Wihtout full disclosure? Read the privacy policy. They follow it to the letter. Any time they violate something, they apologize and fix their mess.[/citation]

So are you suggesting that we wait until they do something wrong and illegal?

What if the loss that they make to somebody is not fixable by their "APOLOGY" ..as you state?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OK, they retain your data, but then it's there for years.
New CEO comes in, new laws are passed, new Governments take over.
If your data is already ther then it is no longer safe.
The only way to guarantee safety is not to give them anything in the first place.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]mishra_anant[/nom]So are you suggesting that we wait until they do something wrong and illegal?[/citation]
Are you suggesting that we should act upon hearsay, FUD and unsubstantiated opinion?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
All large corporations buy and sell consumer info. None of them should be trusted. Ever wonder why you can make a brand new gmail account and never use it but still get SPAM? Ever wonder why the Droid phone dials people from the other phone from your plan? Google is about as secure as our airports prior to 911.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]jsm6746[/nom]holding my data is fine... selling it to someone else is another matter...[/citation]

That depends on what types of data they are holding, and whether or not I gave express consent. Its my belief that data mining should have strict limitations that require explicit user consent.

Teen Geek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]When was the last time you trusted someone that said "trust me"?[/citation]
When I saw the Mac vs. PC ad

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
No, they can't! End of story. EULA's, TOS, and privacy statements are such slippery changeable things.

No matter who they think does trust them it's only because they are the biggest game in town and has NOTHING to do with trust.

joesmith

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Here is what I don't understand. Google collects data for its uses in order to provide the user with more focused ads and better services (a goodish thing, non malicious). To what end are we all concerned that Google has our data. Are we worried they are going to leak it to the highest bidder, or use it to get power over us. Unless you happen to have incriminating data or information, who cares which company has your info?

And here is the really funny part. Who would you trust more with your personal data, Google or the Government? The Government has far more of our personal info and is certainly more likely to use it against us.

Privacy is an illusion to keep paranoid (or misinformed) people from freaking out. Don't kid yourself, big brother is watching and there is nothing you can do about it :)

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I love how people on this thread who aren't kissing Google's behind are getting voted down. Seems like you Google maniacs are getting a little butt-hurt, eh? Reminds me of another group of fanboiz...

Google can't be trusted with anyone's personal information. They're not the altruistic company a lot of you think they are.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I trust google. call me crazy but of all the companies out there they seem to be the best they admit when they make a mistake and make a serious effort to fix thier mistakes when they happen. if google were a person I'd trust them in my house when i wasn't there leaving my wallet there, and the keys to my truck on the ring by the door , and when i go thome not only would all my stuff be there i wouldn't be shocked if google had helped my wife make dinner and clean the house

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Here's the thing ... It only takes one employee to ruin the trust forever. It only takes 15 seconds for everyone's data to go missing into the hands of politicians and police. the two most corrupt parties in the U.S. So, sorry, I've seen how business work. Look at any bank, you can fire 95% of the managerial staff an productivity wouldn't go down at all. In fact it would probably go up. The simple fact is, too many companies are too lax on their policies and in return i dont want them holding ANY of my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.