Googler Reminds Users to Turn on Two-Step Verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
...oh and while you're at it don't run as Administrator within Windows 7. Create two accounts, once called (For example) security. Add a nice password with underscore, this will be your admin account. Now create a new account called Family... configure the account changing things like the pop-up blocker to High within ie9 (Yeah, there's a reason why you get pop-ups) then change that account to a standard user.

if you want to do something scary you will be prompted for the admin password from the Security account.

This stuff should now be common knowledge but isn't. Spread the POSITIVE.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Ever since I had the unfortunate idea to link my cellphone to a Google account, I receive everyday ~4 SMS with advertising - mostly music shows, given my Youtube account is a music one. Google sucks.

lightsol

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Have been using the 2 step verification since release, and i would say that its the best thing to come along security wise.

tupz

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]And what if you don't have a phone? then what? not everyone has a cell.[/citation]

Funny guy you are

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
So his account was hacked, and now Gaggle is blaming him. Well, maybe this is correct, maybe not.

Should not Gaggle have "two step verification" turned on by default?

All this "you're secure with us" crap is an enticement to lure the unsuspecting into the spider web.

Besides, terabytes of storage are extremely inexpensive these days. IMHO, anyone with any brains should not trust their irreplaceable data to the cloud. Buy a few TB disks, RAID them - at least in a RAID 1 configuration on your home PC, and you are at least as safe if not safer by default than with irreplaceable data stored on a cloud server somewhere.

I feel somewhat sorry for this guy, but this exposes another situation where a "tech geek expert" has shown his true mettle is lacking.

xanagu

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Look, Google just saw crapple failures, and improved their own security. THIEVES!!!
GIMME 1 MILLION DOLLARSS!!

G

Google should learn from Blizzard Authenticator on smartphones. Give out phone number to google, hello no, you will receive ads. Google intends to make more money out of you.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Google fanboys can thumb down negative comments all they want, it doesn't stop Google from being another security nightmare like Facebook.

At least they have provided a two-step verification system for those who are conscious enough to use it, I have to give them credit there.

;)

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
To secure my account, why should I have to give Google my cell phone number and risk someday receiving SPAM from them or their affiliates by SMS? I never like to give out my contact information to companies!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I think some people are misunderstanding how this thing works. You set up an account for whatever. Two-step authentication sets up so that if there is a weird circumstance during the login process (you mess up too many times, it takes too long to process, etc.) you get a message that asks you to choose a place to send a code (phone or e-mail address setup earlier). It's a one-time use code that can only be used for a short period (15-30 mins. I think). You have to put this code in to complete the login. If you don't, then you're not allowed to login. Wait too long and the code expires, you have to try again and get a new code. I have a credit card that does the same thing for longing in to your account. It's not the end-all of security, but most computer hackers aren't going to hack your phone in the brief usability time of a code sent there. To be honest, I only have a g-mail account that I use as a secondary e-mail account. There's not much in there.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Google fanboys can thumb down negative comments all they want, it doesn't stop Google from being another security nightmare like Facebook.At least they have provided a two-step verification system for those who are conscious enough to use it, I have to give them credit there.[/citation]

I'm confused... I though there were only Apple fanboys... now we have Google fanboys too? What about Yahoo fanboys? What do you use? Cans strung up with wire? Oh, wait... you're trolling....

[citation][nom]davidxw[/nom]Google should learn from Blizzard Authenticator on smartphones. Give out phone number to google, hello no, you will receive ads. Google intends to make more money out of you.[/citation]

Paranoia much? Google had my # for years and I never received a single add on my cell.

[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]What is googler ?[/citation]

A person who googles maybe:)

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Must be Google trolls here since they are thumbing you down, probably the same little trolls who love MS and their Crapbox 360.[/citation]

Wow, what an original name like "Crapbox 360". Do you intentionally try to loose all credibility when making up names like a 10 year old child? Do you also still spell it Micro$oft?

I've had my number with Google for quite some time and NEVER receive spam messages. But hey, what can you expect from a guy who uses words like "crapbox 360" ... good one.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]So his account was hacked, and now Gaggle is blaming him. Well, maybe this is correct, maybe not.Should not Gaggle have "two step verification" turned on by default?All this "you're secure with us" crap is an enticement to lure the unsuspecting into the spider web.Besides, terabytes of storage are extremely inexpensive these days. IMHO, anyone with any brains should not trust their irreplaceable data to the cloud. Buy a few TB disks, RAID them - at least in a RAID 1 configuration on your home PC, and you are at least as safe if not safer by default than with irreplaceable data stored on a cloud server somewhere.I feel somewhat sorry for this guy, but this exposes another situation where a "tech geek expert" has shown his true mettle is lacking.[/citation]
Google and Tweeter are free of any blame in the case of Mat Honan. The perpetrator was able to hack the Google account because it was linked to his @me.com account. Since his apple mail account was hacked all they needed to do was to ask Google to send a new password to his alternative email.

Status
Not open for further replies.