Gory Gaming: Bulletstorm Performance Analyzed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Yep, I'm still not buying this game on principle. We, as consumers, shouldn't reward companies who openly insult a group of consumers by purchasing their products. I don't condone piracy, but if there were ever an appropriate time to do it, this may be it.

I, for one, won't do either. There are plenty of games coming out in the near future that will satisfy my gaming needs.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Interesting seeing how well the 6970 handles the games shaders when compared to a GTX 580. One possible explanation is that the game makes use of a larger amount of simple shaders rather than a few complex shaders (more multi threaded SPU wise).

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Cleeve... From page 1: Dragon's Layer-style???
Dragon's Lair, man. Dirk would be insulted! Daphne may as well. :)

This game's similar performance across such an array of video cards suggests it's either seriously CPU-bound, or it's programming either doesn't make any use of high-performance/enthusiast level hardware or somehow purposely caps performance. Anyone who simply looks at the benchmark numbers without reading the article's mention (however brief it may be) of configuration tweaks may never know which of those possibilities is the true culprit. The performance comparison charts appear as though V-Sync is always enabled, despite Don disabling it. I find that... puzzling. Regardless, it's satisfying to see solid performance figures for almost every card tested.

SLI and Crossfire scaling initially appear appalling, but with the game's programming/configuration capping maximum FPS to ~62 and the obvious 1680x1050 SLI Anti-Aliasing bug mentioned on pages 7 and 8, minimum framerate figures do show SLI and Crossfire can improve performance. Personally, I'd like to see the game tested with a custom configuration that lifts the 62 FPS cap just to see if the cards stack up in their common order.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Cleeve... From page 1: Dragon's Layer-style???Dragon's Lair, man. Dirk would be insulted! Daphne may as well.[/citation]

Doh! Fixed. :)

As far as the culprit, I understand the cap might be a side effect of some mouse acceleration or something -- hence the lack of V-sync having any effect.

G

You all are wrong! For this game, you will have to use screen resolution by 8s! What I mean is that, if your screen resolution x and y can be divided by 8, then you will see its true performance.

It's a console port bug.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]i enjoy the game and i am not embarrassed to admit it on my 3.33ghz core 2 duo and gtx580, it stutters a lot during some areas and level loading. even a slight CPU use by another processes make this game unplayable.[/citation]
Wow, your graphics card is awesome. But your CPU is probably too old for keeping up with it.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]lkaydee[/nom]You all are wrong! For this game, you will have to use screen resolution by 8s! What I mean is that, if your screen resolution x and y can be divided by 8, then you will see its true performance.It's a console port bug.[/citation]

Read the review. The divide by 8 resolution issue was fixed in a patch.

There is no jump button, and you can’t fall off cliffs even if you try

C'mon man, where in 2011, not in 1990's.

I would understand you can't jump in Wolfeistein.
I think a FPS cannot regress from there predecessor.
Any FPS that respect itself would minimum, jump, strafe, run.

And i am not paying 35$ for a game that lacks such basic features.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]Any FPS that respect itself would minimum, jump, strafe, run.And i am not paying 35$ for a game that lacks such basic features.[/citation]

I think you're confusing a lack of features with what is actually a different set of design goals than you're used to. Bulletstorm isn't trying to recreate every other FPS you've played, it's trying something new that doesn't necessarily fit the mold.

You certainly have the right to dislike a different paradigm than you're used to, I'm not even suggesting it appeals to my taste. But that doesn't equate to stripping features. it's simply a different way of playing an FPS, and good for them for not trying to make another COD clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.