[SOLVED] Got a New motherboard and CPU and I Just reinstalled Windows 10 through the advanced mode. Chose keep my files option. Did my prev drivers uninstall?

Apr 30, 2022
So I just switched out my old CPU (intel i5) and motherboard for a Asus B550f Gaming motherboard and a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU. I know that I have to reinstall windows to uninstall the old drivers. But I’m wondering if the way I did the reinstallation uninstalled the previous drivers. Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
So I just switched out my old CPU (intel i5) and motherboard for a Asus B550f Gaming motherboard and a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU. I know that I have to reinstall windows to uninstall the old drivers. But I’m wondering if the way I did the reinstallation uninstalled the previous drivers. Thanks for the help in advance!
How, exactly, did you do this install?

The only way to be sure is an actual clean install. Full wipe and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan

Reactions: Skoarch
Solution
Apr 30, 2022

So I didn’t have a USB drive with windows on it on hand. I did some searching and was also told I could just go into the Advanced Mode on windows, go to Reset PC and choose the “Keep My files” option and it would be like windows was a fresh install and my previous driver would be uninstalled aswell. I just came here to see if that is a correct way of doing this process. If not, how would I go about doing so? My main concern is the previous drivers are uninstalled.

USAFRet

Titan
So I didn’t have a USB drive with windows on it on hand. I did some searching and was also told I could just go into the Advanced Mode on windows, go to Reset PC and choose the “Keep My files” option and it would be like windows was a fresh install and my previous driver would be uninstalled aswell. I just came here to see if that is a correct way of doing this process. If not, how would I go about doing so? My main concern is the previous drivers are uninstalled.
Right.
And that is not a clean fresh install.

Unlikely any drivers were "uninstalled".

The 'how to' is linked above.
Back up any personal files first.

Reactions: Skoarch
I have seen people do this before, it makes me cringe but it does seem to work. I have seen some systems that have done this and the only strange thing you see is sometimes some overclock drivers for intel cpu trying to run on the amd CPU. Some people just delete the driver using autoruns.exe from microsoft and also go to windows control panel device manager and remove any hardware that does not appear to be there any more. Thye might have bogus registry entries but it does seem to mostly work for them.

for myself, I just find time to do a clean install but I do not have much software installed these days so it does not take much effort.