[SOLVED] GPU 100% usage is slowing down gaming ?

Feb 8, 2021
My gaming laptop is experiencing massive slow downs in game whenever my GPU reaches 100% usage in the task manager. CPU and RAM are normal. No malware after I scanned my computer. I checked the GPU temps and it's 85C. The problem goes away if I crank my fans on max, but this is concerning since it's never happened before. Why is my GPU overheating all of a sudden? I've had this laptop for 1ish years now, but I only realized this problem after playing a game after a few months of only web browsing on my laptop. I only play fighting games, so the graphical requirements aren't that high and the frame rates are usually a consistent 60 fps. Any help would be appreciated!

ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GU502
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 max q
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H
RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM

Solution
No, my GPU isn't OCed; I'm pretty unknowledgeable about fiddling with hardware. I did try opening the laptop and cleaning out the dust buildup on the fans, but the GPU still throttles, albeit more infrequently (like after an hour or two of gameplay). I'm not sure what's going on. Could the thermal paste on the GPU be losing its potency? I heard that it should still be fine after a year or two, but I can't think of any other reason for the GPU throttling.

Yes, it's very possible the thermal paste has degraded to the point where it's not transferring the heat properly. I've only just done a repaste of my CPU/GPU, and there is a big difference. On the CPU, temps have dropped from 95-97c max load to 78-82c ish with new paste...
Hey there,

85c is a little high for normal gaming usage. I've a similar laptop, and although a different GPU (GTX1660ti mobile) which is an 80w version like the 2070 Max Q. My GPU doesn't go above 70-72c when gaming for hours playing BF5.

Could be your GPU is throttling at 85c. Although most GPU's won't sweat that temp. Even in a laptop, just fans spin louder.

Have you tried to OC the GPU?

Feb 8, 2021
No, my GPU isn't OCed; I'm pretty unknowledgeable about fiddling with hardware. I did try opening the laptop and cleaning out the dust buildup on the fans, but the GPU still throttles, albeit more infrequently (like after an hour or two of gameplay). I'm not sure what's going on. Could the thermal paste on the GPU be losing its potency? I heard that it should still be fine after a year or two, but I can't think of any other reason for the GPU throttling.

Yes, it's very possible the thermal paste has degraded to the point where it's not transferring the heat properly. I've only just done a repaste of my CPU/GPU, and there is a big difference. On the CPU, temps have dropped from 95-97c max load to 78-82c ish with new paste. Funnily enough though, the GPU temps only droppe a degree or two. The GPU would never go past 70c, but now sits at 68c. Bit of a reduction.

Given the nature of the cooling systems in gaming laptops, the higher heat of the CPU can transfer a little to the GPU. I've found when CPU is maxed, the GPU does get warmer, but as mentioned since re-paste is a bot more fixed in terms of temps.

I don't know about the generic paste that manufacturers use. The laptops only come with a standard 1 yr warranty. I wouldn't trust the paste to go beyond that.

I used Arctic MX-4, and it's worked a treat. Might try Arctic Silver next time and see if it's any better, or maybe Grizzly. It's deinfately worth doing.

If you're familiar with tricking around with hardware then it's not that demanding of a job. You can disassemble your laptop and do the pasting within an hour.

Admittedly, I had a heart in mouth moment, when after putting it all back together, and firing up for the first time, and it was just a black screen!!! Of course, in hindsight, I realised quickly that because I took the battery out before doing the job, the CMOS had cleared, and had to re-initialize after first boot :tearsofjoy: It was 30-40 seconds of near tears!!!

Solution
Feb 8, 2021
Damn, I'll probably have to try reapplying the thermal paste then; I wish it didn't come to this point, but the thermal paste is the only possible problem I can think of. I'm not too confident in my ability to maneuver computer parts (although not completely amateur), so I'll need to do some research on Youtube. It should be fine. Hopefully, no heart in mouth moment comes to pass for me :eek:.

I'll prepare everything and attempt the process later on this week; this post will definitely be updated once I do so. Thank you for your help up to this point!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Damn, I'll probably have to try reapplying the thermal paste then; I wish it didn't come to this point, but the thermal paste is the only possible problem I can think of. I'm not too confident in my ability to maneuver computer parts (although not completely amateur), so I'll need to do some research on Youtube. It should be fine. Hopefully, no heart in mouth moment comes to pass for me :eek:.

I'll prepare everything and attempt the process later on this week; this post will definitely be updated once I do so. Thank you for your help up to this point!
Don't put new past on a 1 year old LT that was bad advice!

The problem goes away if I crank my fans on max,

Crank your fans up!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's very possible the thermal paste has degraded to the point where it's not transferring the heat properly. I've only just done a repaste of my CPU/GPU, and there is a big difference. On the CPU, temps have dropped from 95-97c max load to 78-82c ish with new paste. Funnily enough though, the GPU temps only droppe a degree or two. The GPU would never go past 70c, but now sits at 68c. Bit of a reduction.

Given the nature of the cooling systems in gaming laptops, the higher heat of the CPU can transfer a little to the GPU. I've found when CPU is maxed, the GPU does get warmer, but as mentioned since re-paste is a bot more fixed in terms of temps.

I don't know about the generic paste that manufacturers use. The laptops only come with a standard 1 yr warranty. I wouldn't trust the paste to go beyond that.

I used Arctic MX-4, and it's worked a treat. Might try Arctic Silver next time and see if it's any better, or maybe Grizzly. It's deinfately worth doing.

If you're familiar with tricking around with hardware then it's not that demanding of a job. You can disassemble your laptop and do the pasting within an hour.

Admittedly, I had a heart in mouth moment, when after putting it all back together, and firing up for the first time, and it was just a black screen!!! Of course, in hindsight, I realised quickly that because I took the battery out before doing the job, the CMOS had cleared, and had to re-initialize after first boot :tearsofjoy: It was 30-40 seconds of near tears!!!
No their absolutely no reason for him to put new paste on a 1 year old LT.
He is gaming so using more of the performance, he just needs to turn the fans up when doing that.

No their absolutely no reason for him to put new paste on a 1 year old LT.
He is gaming so using more of the performance, he just needs to turn the fans up when doing that.

Eh? I don't follow your logic. By replacing the thermal paste with better paste you will get a reduction in temps. Meaning you don't have to crank up the fans!!! Manufacturers churn out thousands of these laptops. They use generic paste for the most part, which there are hundreds of threads on many forums confirming that.

Whilst you may not agree, bad advice it is not. The proof is in the pudding. It does reduce temps to a point where your temps are more manageable, there is less fan noise, and the CPU can boost longer.

The choice is for the OP to make. I'm only offering information, that's relevant.