GPU advice for non-gaming 5760 x 1080 resolution

VernalTurtle

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I am looking for a GPU that will satisfy (3) Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitors

I plan to use 2 of the screens for web browsing/youtube watching/ music and 1 for video editing (PREMIER) / music production (DAWs).

Gaming is not so important for this build, but if need be I could game on high settings on just one monitor and leave the other two for browsing purposes.

I would like to stick with nVidia since I would be doing video editing. Would a 2gb 770 suffice for something like this? I know a 4gb 770 is not so great for $/performance as well as the bandwidth limitations... I know most would say if you plan on getting a 4gb 770, why not get a 780. But a 780 would be overkill for a non gaming build like this yes?

Now, if I were to upgrade to (3) Korean WQHD 2560 x 1440 27" monitors for the same usage style, would the answer change dramatically? 7690 x 4320 non gaming...

Thanks!

Solution
You don't need more than 1GB of VRAM for three high-res screens when not gaming, so 2GB is plenty.

The GTX770 is also overkill for your task, and I believe most/all video editing programs don't use a GTX780 much more than a GTX650. Maybe that's changed.

My suggestion is the Asus GTX750Ti 2GB, which can be found through pcpartpicker for $150 USD.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_750_Ti_OC/4.html

*Be careful if considering 3x(2560x1440). The above cards supports at least two of those monitors via 2xDual-Link DVI but I'm unsure how high the HDMI output goes (if using HDMI->DVI).
You don't need more than 1GB of VRAM for three high-res screens when not gaming, so 2GB is plenty.

The GTX770 is also overkill for your task, and I believe most/all video editing programs don't use a GTX780 much more than a GTX650. Maybe that's changed.

My suggestion is the Asus GTX750Ti 2GB, which can be found through pcpartpicker for $150 USD.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_750_Ti_OC/4.html

*Be careful if considering 3x(2560x1440). The above cards supports at least two of those monitors via 2xDual-Link DVI but I'm unsure how high the HDMI output goes (if using HDMI->DVI).

Solution

VernalTurtle

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

Thanks for the heads up about the 2x Dual-Link. In that case, I would need to SLI 2 cards for that configuration... As for GPU, they are most useful when doing a lot of video rendering with layers using the CUDA cores.

I think you answered my question however! Thanks