Question GPU bottleneck

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tb2388

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hi everybody,

I'm having an issue where my i7-7800x will not go past 1.2Ghz clock speed. I've been using CAM to monitor my system to confirm this and the fact that the CPU is also not being thermal throttled because it typically doesn't get hotter than 27 Celsius. I've also tried changing my Power Options on Windows to High Performance mode trying to see if that might have been an issue. My belief is that my GPU which is an Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 is bottlenecking my CPU but it does strike me as strange that the CPU at no point exceeds 1.2Ghz even if it is a GPU bottleneck. In all I'm hoping someone with a little more experience can either confirm that it most likely is the GPU just bottlenecking my CPU or if there could be an issue with the CPU itself.

Complete Specs
i7-7800x
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz
X299 MSi Tomahawk AC
Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler
500 GB Samsung Evo SSD

tb2388

Prominent
May 10, 2019
You could try that first. BUt did you see my other posts?
Ya I tried the hardcore mode and that didnt change the frequency I was getting. Just saw the other post about the 7900x overclocked tho. If I havent tried to overclock it yet tho could I have that issue? The link on it took me to the MSI bios update page as well idk if that was on purpose or it was suppose to link to something esle