GPU can't be screwed onto case..

Fallen29

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Hi guys, sorry to ask, but as I'm in the process of building my PC, I can't for some reason screw my GPU to my case.
I've been trying, but it just won't get into place for me to screw.

Here are some pictures
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z235/viku123/Ava%20PC/20151217_231136_zpsc4tpwyld.jpeg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z235/viku123/Ava%20PC/20151217_231105_zpsnofkcr8t.jpeg

I have a Gigabyte H170 - D3HP motherboard and a EVGA Geoforce GTX 980Ti

Is it absolutely NEEDED for me to screw it in place? It clamps down correctly so I know its in the right place...

Fallen29

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
The display output seems to be in the right position. I may be wrong but it looks to be secure.
I tried moving the GPU a bit closer so it would be in proper position but I feel its putting TOO much stress on it, or the motherboard and it may break.
If it move it, it also seems to be out of place but I may be wrong.
My first time building a PC

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014

can you upload a few more photos of the GPU in the PCIE slot, another above photo and one from behind the PC case where the display outputs are?

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
It doesn't actually need to be screwed down.. but that will give it extra stability and so on.. probably wouldn't be an issue if your computer never moves. The connector on the main board is the important part.

From looking at the photos, i'd say slightly bending the retainer bracket and/or the case might do the trick...

Sometimes, by pushing the top of the gpu bracket closer towards the holes (so, towards the back of the case), it will move enough for you to get a screw into it..

Fallen29

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I hate to double post, but I did try moving it back and it looks like its putting A LOT of stress on it. Am i putting the GPU in the wrong way?
I don't think I will be moving it much at all to be honest, just the next few days maybe once or twice to see where my pc will end up staying in...

If I dont screw it in, do I risk it falling off while I'm playing games or when it gets hot inside?

From the pictures, it looks like there is a rivet blocking the GPU bracket. I have a case with that exact problem, I was able to move the GPU around just enough to get it to properly seat and secured. If you can't do that, you could try to use wire cutters to cut part of the rivet off and make room or bend the top part of the bracket and just screw in the lower part of the bracket.