Question GPU causing audio issues?

Sella

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a lot of audio issues for the past couple of months, such as crackling and popping every now and then and it's driving me nuts since I cant pinpoint the exact issue.

Solutions i've tried:
I've tried almost everything that you can find in a google search, such as
1)uninstalling with ddu or revo uninstaller and reinstalling graphics and audio drivers
2) fiddled with the power options and made sure everything is set in performance mode
3)reinstalled windows
4)updated bios
5)updated realtek drivers
6)uninstalled and reinstalled icue v4 and v5
7)changing audio setting such as buffer size etc
8)turning off and on the HD audio controller from the bios
9)turned off and on the XHCI handoff for the USB 3.0 ports
10)Disabling exclusive mode
11)Disabling all other audio devices
12)Disabling XMP
13) PBO and Core Boost are turned off, no OC whatsoever
14)GPU using default settings, i've only turned off zero RPM for the fans
15)Installed and uninstalled chipset drivers
just to name a few.
You name it, i've tried it but to no avail.

It happens in-game, when watching videos, listening to music, sometimes to a greater extend than others but I cant seem to find a pattern. It sometimes happens when I'm entering or exiting fullscreen videos in Firefox. Also when I'm using the audio interface to watch videos on Firefox the audio and the video lag almost every second but not when I switch to a blank tab, using edge, or using some other output. I can almost realiably get audio crackling and popping when I check and uncheck the boxes in file explorer like view hidden items. Its even worse when using the audio interface, whenever i check and uncheck them the audio pauses for a sec. It happens in Linux too.

When running latencymon, sometimes the top drivers with the highest latency seem to be amdkmdag.sys or dxgkrnl.sys .

The graphics performance overall seems to be fine in most of the games I play, only some minor stuttering in Warthunder but thats probably the game itself.

Outputs I've tried:
1) 3.5mm from motherboard and case
2) Yamaha AG03 audio interface
3)Screen speakers with HDMI and Display Port
4)Wireless through my Corsair heaphones

My specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite rev 1.0
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB GDDR6 Nitro+
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Ram:KINGSTON KF436C16RB1AK2/32 FURY RENEGADE RGB 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3600MHZ
Storage:KINGSTON SFYRS/1000G FURY RENEGADE 1TB M.2 2280 NVME PCIE GEN4 X4
PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power 12 1000W Full Modular 80 Plus Platinum

Lastly and most importantly, when I unplugged both of my screens from my GPU and I used the onboard graphics, all the issues seemed to be gone which I find very strange. I will keep testing to see if I experience them again.

So my questions are:
Could the GPU be faulty or improperly seated?
Are the drivers conflicting or something?
Is the mobo faulty in general, or could it be the pcie slot?
The CPU doesnt support PCIE4 but only PCIE3, could this somehow be affecting performance and the audio? (Im aware that there is backwards compatibility)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS