[SOLVED] GPU causing PC to crash or is it something else ?

olin903

Commendable
Apr 5, 2019
Recently my computer keep randomly crash, freezing and sound stutter while working or gaming, rarely happen when working, mostly gaming. (few days ago it would only freeze, but now it just crashes).

But it seems like it depends which game I'm playing, like when I play "Don't Starve" (some kind of small game) I can play for several hours and won't crash, but playing Apex Legends after 10 minutes it will crash. When it crash, the screen will show random colors, and I have to hard reboot, if it's freezing, I have to wait few minutes, if worse I have to hard reboot, plus my pc is became slower. I never overclock CPU and RAM, I have tried:
  • Uninstalled GPU driver(using DDU), and installed latest version
  • Scan if there's any virus but didn't found anything
  • Replug the GPU and RAM
reset the whole pc is my last choice.
I guessing it's GPU causing this? I mean I've been using this one for 5 years, but I'm really not sure, I don't want if I buy a new one but still encounter same issues, that just waste money, what do you guys think?

My spec:
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 9400F @ 2.90GHz
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

RAM
Klevv DDR4-2400 16.0GB Dual-Channel

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z390 M GAMING

GPU
ASUS ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING

Solution
Recently my computer keep randomly crash, freezing and sound stutter while working or gaming, rarely happen when working, mostly gaming. (few days ago it would only freeze, but now it just crashes).

But it seems like it depends which game I'm playing, like when I play "Don't Starve" (some kind of small game) I can play for several hours and won't crash, but playing Apex Legends after 10 minutes it will crash. When it crash, the screen will show random colors, and I have to hard reboot, if it's freezing, I have to wait few minutes, if worse I have to hard reboot, plus my pc is became slower. I never overclock CPU and RAM, I have tried:
  • Scan if there's any...

• Replug the GPU and RAM
I guessing it's GPU causing this? I mean I've been using this one for 5 years, but I'm really not sure, I don't want if I buy a new one but still encounter same issues, that just waste money, what do you guys think?

My spec:
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit

CPU

RAM

Motherboard

GPU
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 6 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

• Replug the GPU and RAM

My spec:
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit

CPU

RAM

Motherboard

GPU

You been using this PC for 5 years?

Have you check the CPU and GPU TEMPs while gaming using something like MSI Afterburner OSD?,

5 years same PSU?, Whats the complete make and model of your PSU?

Reactions: jay32267

olin903

Commendable
Apr 5, 2019
You been using this PC for 5 years?

Have you check the CPU and GPU TEMPs while gaming using something like MSI Afterburner OSD?,

5 years same PSU?, Whats the complete make and model of your PSU?
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, the whole PC except GPU is been 2 years, I didn't buy a new GPU when I building this PC(the current one I using right now), so this GPU is 5 years old.

The temp's both around 60~70, Im using MSI afterburn

The PSU I'm using is FSP HEXA 85+ 650W

olin903

Commendable
Apr 5, 2019
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 6 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Thanks for your detail reply, I do everything you said, but unfortunately it still crash after playing few minutes.

But is there have possibility that might be CPU or MB or RAM problem?
of course there is, but while you're testing the psu, you could test your psu on your friends pc and stress test em. if your friends pc crashed while stressing your psu, then clearly psu faulty.

tbh the FSP Hexa series is not a pretty good psu, compared to FSP HV Pro (which is a better then hexa but still not that good) so thing like this could happen.

Do this first: To test RAM use memtest86, read instructions on page to make a bootable USB drive. Boot through the BIOS using the UEFI option in the boot override section. Run the test a minimum of 2 times, 2 sets of 4 passes each.

Next do this: To test the CPU use Prime 95 version 27.7 OR turn off AVX mode
Intel Burn Test for 20 runs and set at maximum stress. as long as the result section matches the test passes
Use OCCT to test the CPU

Next do this: To test the GPU use OCCT with error detection enabled. IF you do not pay for a months use run the test 3 times, 1 hour limit on the free version, or if you pay run a 3 hour test run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koekieezz

olin903

Commendable
Apr 5, 2019
Do this first: To test RAM use memtest86, read instructions on page to make a bootable USB drive. Boot through the BIOS using the UEFI option in the boot override section. Run the test a minimum of 2 times, 2 sets of 4 passes each.

Next do this: To test the CPU use Prime 95 version 27.7 OR turn off AVX mode
Intel Burn Test for 20 runs and set at maximum stress. as long as the result section matches the test passes
Use OCCT to test the CPU

Next do this: To test the GPU use OCCT with error detection enabled. IF you do not pay for a months use run the test 3 times, 1 hour limit on the free version, or if you pay run a 3 hour test run.
I test it all, memtest86 result is 0 error, use Prime 95 for 40 mins and still 0 error, use IntelBurnTest 20 runs, again, 0 error.
But OCCT I'm not sure how to check if my PSU have problem? I test it for 20 mins, and I see:

GPU
Voltage min is 0.800V, max 1.150, Average 1.118V
but the memory clock will suddenly drop to 300MHz, MAX is 2000Mhz, is this normal?
Core Power Min 1.60W, Max 206.80W, Average 40.20W
Chip Power Min 9.23W, Max 130.85W, Average 56.31W

MB
the +12V and +5V seems normal, no suddenly too low or too high

• Replug the GPU and RAM

My spec:
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit

CPU

RAM

Motherboard

GPU

Most likely issue is a failing video card or power supply.

Underclock the video card by say 10% and see if the issue still happens. Have you checked the temps in the system? Overheating will cause the crash you are seeing also.

You should test your card in another system to see if the issue follows the card.

last time i owned a CX550 it failed to pass all kind of stress test even gaming, getting suspicious over the whole system, decided to plug back the VS450 i owned before and stress test it like heavy, it passed. decided to rma the CX550 and got CV550 since they got none CX again, decided to stress test the same method before, it worked, no crash, sudden shutoff, stuttering, etc.

olin903

Commendable
Apr 5, 2019
last time i owned a CX550 it failed to pass all kind of stress test even gaming, getting suspicious over the whole system, decided to plug back the VS450 i owned before and stress test it like heavy, it passed. decided to rma the CX550 and got CV550 since they got none CX again, decided to stress test the same method before, it worked, no crash, sudden shutoff, stuttering, etc.
I used my friend RX580 to test serval games, includes GTA5, Apex Legends, Dark souls 3, Battlefield 5, all have play at least 1hrs, and everything went fine, no freeze, no crash, so this must be my GPU problem, right?