[SOLVED] GPU Choices: RX or GTX?

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
So I'm currently torn between two quite different cards in terms of performance, price, and brand; I am willing to spend up to the $310 that the GTX 1660 ti is going for rn, but after watching some videos on Radeon RTX cards, I'm not so sure that kind of power would be necessary to play the titles I want to run with my gpu, like Forza or The Witcher 3 especially. I really just want to be able to play W3 with 60+ fps on high settings with no problem. Right now, the RTX 570 is going for only $184 on Amazon, and some videos I've watched on it have shown it handling demanding titles pretty well. What are your thoughts? Is this a really ridiculous comparison and shouls I just get the 570? Or is the 1660 ti worth the extra $120?

Solution
For GPU overclocking MSI AfterBurner is my goto. (https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner ) be sure to use OSD and track how well your hardware is preforming in games.

For CPU the BIOS is the best bet. You can change the multiplier which can under and overclock the CPU. I recommend you watch this video to better inform your self on the process
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4a89kUVDpc

In today's day in age, it is very hard to damage a CPU overclocking. The system will usually blue screen if a problem become apparent.

The only thing which can be damage from an overclock is the VRM's on the motherboard. This component is in charge of managing how much voltage goes to the CPU. The voltage...

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Another thing: about the 1660 ti, I already knew how much more power that gpu brings to the table than the 570. I'm just trying to decide whether its worth the extra money and whether that extra performance would last me well for other future games with high requirements. I also am really interested in getting Battlefield 5 for my pc, though with my i5 intel core 2500k I'm not sure if that would even be worth it. Thanks

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
You could get the RX 580 for around the same price of the RX 570
Which GPU do you have at the moment?

I have the gtx 650 ti right now; not exactly the most optimal card to play The Witcher 3 on. But I also just watched a video on the 570 and it's apparently only 10% faster than the 570 and the 580's listed on Amazon are like +$50 compared to the 570. Do you think the 570 would be more than enough for Witcher 3 @ 60+ fps and high settings?

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Again, the original goal was for me to be able to play W3 on High settings @ 60+ fps no issues. I don't intend to OC my i5 2500k past what intel's own turbo boost technology already does automatically, so that is not a concern for me.

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
I don't think you will be able to do 60+ fps on high settings.
You CPU will prevent the RX 570 or 580 to accomplish that task.

I've asked about my cpu's performance on other forums and what I've heard a lot is that it's very common to run into that sort of cpu/gpu bottlenecking in a pc; but I think that if I use Intel's included turbo boosting feature for their cpu's, then I should be fine. I know where you are coming from, though.

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
I don't think you will be able to do 60+ fps on high settings.
You CPU will prevent the RX 570 or 580 to accomplish that task.

I have already been told on other forums that the cpu bottlenecking issues that come up with running a pc with a higher performing gpu are overexagerrated and usually a lot of the bottlenecking is not noticeable. I already know that I will not be getting the absolute full potential out of my gpu, but the bottom line for me is just being able to play my games at a higher frame yet than I get right now, and I disagree with you saying that I won't be able to reach 60+ fps. My i5 is a quadcore @ 3.3 GHz but that doesn't even take into account the speed of it with the turbo boost feature being active.

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Just because your system is lagging does not automatically means the issue is the AMD GPU or all AMD GPUs for that matter.

Maybe you should open your own thread about your lagging issues and someone here might help you with it.

Oh, and another thing: just like cryoburner mentioned, some games, including Witcher 3, are more GPU intensive than CPU, so that already helps a lot with bottlenecking happening from the cpu as more work in the game will be coming out of the graphics card, not my cpu.

Zakster

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
The 1660 Ti is a solid choice and also uses GDDR6.

With this combo, a CPU bottleneck may become an issue. I'd recommend doing some research on how the 2500k performs with the 1660 Ti.(In your specific games)

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
The 1660 Ti is a solid choice and also uses GDDR6.

With this combo, a CPU bottleneck may become an issue. I'd recommend doing some research on how the 2500k performs with the 1660 Ti.(In your specific games)

I've already done some research on the subject, and basically the answer I found was that without any overclocking, then bottlenecking becomes a serious issue with the 1660 ti. However, I do plan to overclock my i5 just a smidge, which certainly won't solve the problem entirely, but it will help alleviate the amount of bottlenecking that will occur. Also, again, I'm doing this upgrade (including adding another 8GB of RAM to my current 8) to be able to play a smooth Witcher 3 on high settings. Based on what I read from this article on the game and its graphical requirements, I should be fine overall with my current cpu and pairing it with a gpu like the 1660 ti.

Oh, and another thing: just like cryoburner mentioned, some games, including Witcher 3, are more GPU intensive than CPU, so that already helps a lot with bottlenecking happening from the cpu as more work in the game will be coming out of the graphics card, not my cpu.
That sounds about right.
Going with any GPU more powerful than the RX 580 won't make a difference in performance.
XFX RX 580 @ $187.99
If you look around you might even get it for cheaper

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
That sounds about right.
Going with any GPU more powerful than the RX 580 won't make a difference in performance.
XFX RX 580 @ $187.99
If you look around you might even get it for cheaper

I saw one made by MSI for a bit more, $229 but I'm willing to pay that considering my current 650 ti is also made by msi; but thanks for the link. It looks like it makes the most sense to with an AMD RX 580 instead. My only concern is switching from Nvidia drivers to AMD; I am not at all familiar with AMD and I'm worried I might mess something up with my display drivers in the process of removing my current ones I downloaded for my 650 ti.... any suggestions?

Zorozephyr09

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
The 1060 6GB isn't bottlenecked heavily and can still provide over 60FPS on high. The CPU would need to have a moderate overclock.

Any suggestion for how I should go about overclocking? I watched one video for how to overclock for an intel cpu (which I have), but it required a program that my pc wouldn't let me install (damn Microsoft .NET Framework issue; problem I was never able to fix on my pc). I'm not very familiar with working the BIOS of my pc and I want to be very wary of not destroying any component of my pc from overclocking