Question GPU clearance

Aug 10, 2021
I have a weird clearance issue with my new 3070 Strix Rog and my Lian Li Mesh II case. Long story short, it fits length wise, and posts just fine as it locked into the pcie groove. However, if you know the Lian Li Mesh cases they have a weird cable management "bar" on the case that can be flipped around to fit an ATX board or an EATX board. As you can see from the below picture the card fits but the end of it just barely makes contact with that metal bar for like half an inch. It doesn't seem to cause any mounting issues, but my wonder is if it will short out the card or ground it by the metal bar touching it, and I confirmed contact by trying to slide a piece of paper behind the card. (it's flipped to the E-ATX position to give more room and it STILL touches.). I can take that out, but it would leave a gaping hole in the back of the case. I got no problem doing that for safety reasons, but I'm not sure if that constitutes a safety problem, or just me being paranoid

bwclQHa.jpg

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
I have a weird clearance issue with my new 3070 Strix Rog and my Lian Li Mesh II case. Long story short, it fits length wise, and posts just fine as it locked into the pcie groove. However, if you know the Lian Li Mesh cases they have a weird cable management "bar" on the case that can be flipped around to fit an ATX board or an EATX board. As you can see from the below picture the card fits but the end of it just barely makes contact with that metal bar for like half an inch. It doesn't seem to cause any mounting issues, but my wonder is if it will short out the card or ground it by the metal bar touching it, and I confirmed contact by trying to slide a piece of paper behind the card. (it's flipped to the E-ATX position to give more room and it STILL touches.). I can take that out, but it would leave a gaping hole in the back of the case. I got no problem doing that for safety reasons, but I'm not sure if that constitutes a safety problem, or just me being paranoid

bwclQHa.jpg
I had a 980Ti Matrix Platinum in my Corsair 4000D that was the same, it must have been what, 1mm away from the back plate thing for the cables, it seemed fine, i assume if its touching the plastic it should be fine, I doubt it would cause a short, if you are concerned, put something like a non-conductive pad inbetween it to stop direct contact.

Reactions: dotas1
Aug 10, 2021
I had a 980Ti Matrix Platinum in my Corsair 4000D that was the same, it must have been what, 1mm away from the back plate thing for the cables, it seemed fine, i assume if its touching the plastic it should be fine, I doubt it would cause a short, if you are concerned, put something like a non-conductive pad inbetween it to stop direct contact.

not sure I could fit a pad in there, I can't even fit a piece of paper between the card and that cable management plate. The plastic I wasn't too worried about. it was that metal backplate on top touching that had me worried more than the plastic edge.

I wish Lian Li had lowered the depth of that cable management bar a couple of mm's or so as that seems like an annoying quirk

Last edited:

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
not sure I could fit a pad in there, I can't even fit a piece of paper between the card and that cable management plate. The plastic I wasn't too worried about. it was that metal backplate on top touching that had me worried more than the plastic edge.

I wish Lian Li had lower the depth of that cable management place a couple of mm's or so as that seems like an annoying quirk
Yeah honestly, I do thing that it could have been easily avoided, but as long as it isn't actually touching it should be fine, you could always try bend it back maybe (i'd only recommend doing that if you don't really mind it)

Aug 10, 2021
Yeah honestly, I do thing that it could have been easily avoided, but as long as it isn't actually touching it should be fine, you could always try bend it back maybe (i'd only recommend doing that if you don't really mind it)

yeah, it's def touching... not even a razor thin piece of paper could get between the bar and the GPU.... what I ended up doing was just taking that bar out completely (it uncscrews) ... it's annoying, and I had to rip out the card and do some fancier zip tying, but it's out of the way and won't cause a problem anymore....I just didn't feel comfortable knowing it was ACTUALLY touching the gpu top plate edge and I had the time

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
W
yeah, it's def touching... not even a razor thin piece of paper could get between the bar and the GPU.... what I ended up doing was just taking that bar out completely (it uncscrews) ... it's annoying, and I had to rip out the card and do some fancier zip tying, but it's out of the way and won't cause a problem anymore....I just didn't feel comfortable knowing it was ACTUALLY touching the gpu top plate edge and I had the time
Well atleast you found a resolution for it, it's not the end of the world to not have that either, so I guess, unless it really is annoying you, leave it how it is now.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
yup, I figure best not to tempt fate with a $789 video card when you can just take out the stupid bar.
Haha yeah, I just bought a RTX3070 Aurous Master V2 for like £850 brand new cause a friend of mine wanted it and didn't care on price, so I would have been annoyed if it didn't fit either, since he wanted to use a 4000X case and the GPU is pretty much the same size as my 980Ti Matrix Plat was.