Question GPU clock stuck at 1900MHz and mem at 4000Mhz

Nov 4, 2019
Recently, I installed a new air cooler on my CPU, and a new power suply ( 750W 80+Gold). Everything went fine the first day. Yesterday, everything change for the worst.... My fps dropped from 240 to 30,20,10.... I checked on MSI Afterburner and I got these results.

GPU : Gtx 1070 8Go MSI
GPU Clock : 1911Mhz
Mem Clocl : 4006Mhz
Voltage : 1043mV
Temp. : 60*C

I uninstalled the drivers and everything related to nvidia and reinstalled the drivers after I reboot the PC. I tried to change my refresh rate to 120 and reset the options in the Control Panel.
The result are different but my fps still trash.

GPU Clock : 139Mhz
Mem Clocl : 405Mhz
Voltage : 650mV
Temp. : 59*C

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu cooler? In game cpu temps?
1 or 2 sticks of ram?
Any other software changes in that time besides the Nvidia drivers?

Download Gpu-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Open the program and click on the Sensors tab.
If you aren't using a secondary monitor, then you will need to run the game in windowed mode so you can see how performance changes while you play.
You will want to keep an eye on the Performance Cap Reason. There will be one of several reasons displayed on a real-time basis:
-Power: card hits power limits
-Thermal: card hits thermal limits
-VRel: reliability voltage limit(Meaning: the gpu core is unable to step up to the next voltage bin on the Boost curve because the core will become unstable, thus limiting maximum Boost clock.)
-VOp: limited by operating voltage
-Idle: obviously, gpu isn't really being used

Nov 4, 2019
1 or 2 sticks of ram?

If you aren't using a secondary monitor, then you will need to run the game in windowed mode so you can see how performance changes while you play.
You will want to keep an eye on the Performance Cap Reason. There will be one of several reasons displayed on a real-time basis:
-VRel: reliability voltage limit(Meaning: the gpu core is unable to step up to the next voltage bin on the Boost curve because the core will become unstable, thus limiting maximum Boost clock.)

It's an air cooler : Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)
CPU temp : between 30 to 45Celcius

I'll download https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and do the test when i'll be at my home

Nov 4, 2019
1 or 2 sticks of ram?

I have 2 RAM of 8Go ( I didn't touch them when I changed my air cooler and psu)

If I go CTRL+F on Afterburner I should have for 650mV 1200Mhz for the Mem Clock and not 4006Mhz like I have....

Nov 4, 2019
I reinstalled windows yesterday, and I have the same problem. The only difference is when i'm idle it goes down to 300Mem Clock and 600GPU Clock. The moment I open a game like Rainbow Six Siege it goes up to 4000Mhz Mem

Nov 4, 2019
That's how it's supposed to be. When your work is not GPU intensive, the GPU downclocks to keep cool and save power (electric, not performance).

Though, when needed, the GPU works at it's rated clocks.
Indeed, but is it normal that it goes to the max ? And my performance are affected. I used to have 200+Fps on Siege and now I get less than 50, 150+ on CSGO and now its 20-30.

Nov 4, 2019
After many tests, I found the problem. It was my CPU. It was not overheating. It had too much thermal paste.... I just find it weird because I cleaned and put new paste 4-5 times before it work perfectly. But yeah, novice error here. Its better to put less paste than too much ;)