Question GPU cooler gets loud at only 1700rpm

Jul 20, 2022
My GPU has been bugging me lately- the temps jump to almost 80c when playing games at 1286mhz, with my fans at 1700rpm. I really want to lower the fan speed because 1700rpm is obnoxiously loud (I'm very sensitive to noise). I even tried replacing the thermal paste, but if anything that increased the temperatures. Is there a way I can order a better cooler for my XFX RX 570? Or any tips?

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
What games do you play? And at what resolution and settings (low/mid/high/ultra)? You can try adjusting the fan curve of your GPU using MSI Afterburner. And also, please do give us your full PC specifications.

Jul 20, 2022
What games do you play? And at what resolution and settings (low/mid/high/ultra)? You can try adjusting the fan curved of your GPU using MSI Afterburner. And also, please do give us your full PC specifications.
I mainly play rocket league- my framerate is a perfectly smooth 120fps. But the fans can get pretty annoyingly loud- even though I underclocked and undervolted.

lovpk2r.png

Here's my AMD tuning settings if you want it.
My full (relevant) PC specs are:
Ryzen 5 5600X
RX 570
16GB 2800MHz DDR4

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
I mainly play rocket league- my framerate is a perfectly smooth 120fps. But the fans can get pretty annoyingly loud- even though I underclocked and undervolted.

lovpk2r.png

Here's my AMD tuning settings if you want it.
My full (relevant) PC specs are:
Ryzen 5 5600X
RX 570
16GB 2800MHz DDR4
Is the screenshot taken while you are playing or on idle? And also what is your PC case?

Jul 20, 2022
Is the screenshot taken while you are playing or on idle? And also what is your PC case?
This screenshot is taken while on idle.
What changes when playing is:
Clock speed goes up to max (1286mhz, or after i underclocked, 1210mhz)
GPU Temperature goes to an average of 78 degrees celcius
GPU Fans go to about 1700rpm

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
This screenshot is taken while on idle.
What changes when playing is:
Clock speed goes up to max (1286mhz, or after i underclocked, 1210mhz)
GPU Temperature goes to an average of 78 degrees celcius
GPU Fans go to about 1700rpm
Oh I see. 40 degrees idle is normal behaviour for GPU to be idle on - especially if you live in tropical countries and/or have multiple monitors running. I would still like to know what PC case you have though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
XFX have generally always been loud. They don't have the best cooling or fans.

Easiest way is generally to remove the shroud and fans, and ziptie 1x or 2x 92mm or 120mm fans right to the heatsink. You'll need to probably rewire the connector from the old fans to the new fans.

Use of much larger fans means speeds drop drastically and still get adequate or better cfm.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Goto youtube. Search for '120mm fan on gpu'. There's multiple vids from JayzTwoCents to Linus to po-dunk diy. Watch them all and figure out what's more likely going to work out better for your specific needs, or even diy after getting ideas.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Wow that setting is like having no fans at all. Question you have to ask yourself is do you want a long lasting PC or a quiet PC for a short time ?
Where do you stand on that budget, because with your frame of mind, you won't have it both ways.

Jul 20, 2022
Wow that setting is like having no fans at all. Question you have to ask yourself is do you want a long lasting PC or a quiet PC for a short time ?
Where do you stand on that budget, because with your frame of mind, you won't have it both ways.
I swear this sounds like a blow dryer at 50% speed. Not even exaggerating.
I found some replacement fans online. Will these be cooler and quiter than the original fans?
https://a.co/d/9fwWQmM

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Compare CFM (cubic feet per minute) that's the amount of air a fan is pushing, the higher the better. I don't know where yours stand now.
I see, most of Amazon doesn't want to list CFM, so I would go by Amps, the higher amps (slight difference overall but big for the little fan) the better.
I can't tell you if it's quieter, I just forgot which type I bought when mine broke, they are 500rpm faster giving me another 5C lower temps and I can't hear anything from inside the box.
Maybe in this case it's best to go by RPM for better cooling. However, if you can hear GPU fans, maybe you should replace the case ???
All metal, fully enclosed.

Jul 20, 2022
Now that I turn my ceiling fan off, which is loud in of itself, I can hear this piece of crap at JUST 1300 RPM
It's like 20x louder in person. I think my phone has noise reduction for it.