gpu cpu bottleneck

stelios_7

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
Hello i have i simple question yet unable to answer myself. I currently have a 4930k intel processor and a corsair 2133Mhz DDR3 ram (16gb) . I am planning on buying a new GPU anytime soon.

If I buy the new RTX family from nvidia, is there a possibility for bottleneck on my setup? And how can someone reach to that conclusion? Please explain.
My monitor is an ASUS PG278q g-sync.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Not mandatory, but you want the strongest CPU performance possible to pair with the top tier RTX cards.

At the end of the day, a 4930K is no slouch, although starting to age a little. Overclocking will give you the best chance of a well balanced pairing, but it's far from mandatory.

A 1080TI, for the most part performs in the same general ballpark as a 2080, with future raytracing capabilities.

If I were you, given prices today, I'd still look to either a 1070TI, 1080TI or 2080TI
1070TI is about 10% slower than a 1080/2070, and can catch up with some overclocking (although the 1080/2070 can OC on from there, opening the gap back up, of course).
A 1080TI is about on par with a 2080, for about 10% less money.
A 2080TI is expensive...

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
The 2070 maybe won't bottleneck, but the 2080 and 2080ti almost certainly will. If you plan on getting those cards, you should be looking at a CPU upgrade, depending on what resolutions you play at. If you play at the 1440p that your monitor is capable of, then you'll be more GPU-bound and it will matter less.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With a 1440p monitor, you should be fine with a 2070, maybe even a 2080 depending on the title (assuming the 4930K is overclocked).

Realistically, for 1440p High/Ultra settings, you could even pair with a 2080TI. The CPU will limit the card in some scenarios, but I wouldn't imagine it'll be too bad at all.

stelios_7

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
so basically overclocking is mandatory for the new RTX family? if i cant afford to upgrade all of the system at once do you think buying the older 10-series is a better solution ?

mgallo848

Commendable

It's not mandatory but overclocking a 4930k is easy to do. Even a small OC to 4.2 is as easy as just changing the multiplier to 42. No voltage tweaking required. A 2070 is basically the same as a GTX 1080 in terms of raw FPS. (Ray tracing aside)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not mandatory, but you want the strongest CPU performance possible to pair with the top tier RTX cards.

At the end of the day, a 4930K is no slouch, although starting to age a little. Overclocking will give you the best chance of a well balanced pairing, but it's far from mandatory.

A 1080TI, for the most part performs in the same general ballpark as a 2080, with future raytracing capabilities.

If I were you, given prices today, I'd still look to either a 1070TI, 1080TI or 2080TI
1070TI is about 10% slower than a 1080/2070, and can catch up with some overclocking (although the 1080/2070 can OC on from there, opening the gap back up, of course).
A 1080TI is about on par with a 2080, for about 10% less money.
A 2080TI is expensive, but the best raw performance card available today.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you need a GPU now, there's probably not much worth in holding out for BF.
Top tier GPUs, even prior gens rarely see any significant drops on BF/CM. Thsoe days are used to clear out older stock, and bulk/commodity stuff (storage, PSUs etc).

If you don't *need* one right now, there's no harm in waiting. I just wouldn't hold your breath.

mgallo848

Commendable

I agree. I just don't want to wait much longer than BF. Sooner or later the well is going to run dry and there won't be a warning. They'll just say "out of stock".

stelios_7

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016

Thank you for the answer. Thing is I am very confused. I have a 980 and i skipped the whole 10-series line cause of the mining craze etc. Wasnt worth it. Then, when prices went down i thought again that the next gen cards are going to launch so maybe wait a little more, and now with that forced launch from nvidia rtx I am still not sure whether i should buy one or if the whole rtx thing is gonna be a gimmick. On the one hand i am thinking that spending an extra 100$ for an 2070 is a good idea instead of an 1070ti for example because of ray tracing new features etc. On the other hand i am concerned about how all these new features will be introduced in terms of fps . A third option i can think of is to buy the cheapest 1070 out there and wait until rtx goes mainstream then upgrade to rtx with lower prices. Opinions? :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While it's complete speculation on my part, I don't think raytracing will be fully implemented during the RTX cards lifespan as 'top tier' cards.
I fully expect we'll have RTX Rev1 or Rev2 before RT is overly commonplace.

A handful of titles will receive patches to enable/support soon enough, but it's hardly going to be mainstream - AND, we don't know how the RTX cards will hold up.

If I were you, and NEEDED a GPU today, I'd look to a 1070 (depending on what you're upgrading from, of course - I wouldn't get a 1070 from a 980 or 980TI).
A 1070 is a solid 1440p card. A 1070TI or 1080 would be 'better', but not exactly necessary.

A 1070 should offer an affordable upgrade, that';ll pair well at your resolution, provided you're not looking to max everything out.