Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
I'll cut to the point, I have these specs

Twin Frozr GTX970

i5 4690k CPU

16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

800w Fractal Design Newton PSU

I have around £1000 at the moment

I want to have a PC capable of playing VR games & running games comfortably at 60fps 1080p on high quality settings, I may be asking too much for my defined budget, if so I can always save more! Also is my PSU capable of powering suggested specs or will I need to upgrade that too? Thank you!

Solution
I think your budget is more than adequate.

I think that CPU could handle a GTX 1060 no problem, and a GTX 1070 as well with maybe a little bottlenecking (but no big deal).

Both of those cards do well at 1080p ultra 60 fps. The 1060....I've seen a little stretched at this....but it pretty much covers most games on ultra fine.

Your PSU is fine with the wattage....just make sure it has the proper plug(s) for whatever you decide to buy.[ Most 1060s use a 6 pin. Most 1070s use an 8 pin.

The only other thing is....I'm not that familiar with Fractal design....and I don't know the quality. My point is....I wouldn't put a new card on a crap supply. So maybe you want to do a little research on that supply and see what people are saying...
I think your budget is more than adequate.

I think that CPU could handle a GTX 1060 no problem, and a GTX 1070 as well with maybe a little bottlenecking (but no big deal).

Both of those cards do well at 1080p ultra 60 fps. The 1060....I've seen a little stretched at this....but it pretty much covers most games on ultra fine.

Your PSU is fine with the wattage....just make sure it has the proper plug(s) for whatever you decide to buy.[ Most 1060s use a 6 pin. Most 1070s use an 8 pin.

The only other thing is....I'm not that familiar with Fractal design....and I don't know the quality. My point is....I wouldn't put a new card on a crap supply. So maybe you want to do a little research on that supply and see what people are saying about it.

Solution

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
I would perhaps look at a 2070 for decent VR performance and keep the rest. If it then turns your current CPU can't keep up then upgrade that, the mobo and the RAM then, your budget should cover it.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DhkMYT
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DhkMYT/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£143.58 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£91.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£128.16 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£62.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£473.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£77.48 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £978.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-24 19:37 GMT+0000

I'm assuming you have HDD and case you can reuse.

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
The 4690K is still quite a sustainable CPU today. Spend a few bucks on a nice AIO liquid cooler and OC that sucker.

As for the GPU end, I'd say go for a RTX 2060. It will fit your system nicely with minimal bottlenecking. The OC will help lower the amount as well.

On the PSU front, the Fractal Newton is just fine. It's within the gaming spec for clean power and reliability.

Save the rest of the money for a larger scale rebuild later. Right now, your CPU offers very good single core performance and most games aren't made for 6+ cores. you can sit tight with it and pull off VR easily. Just use that Devils Canyon headroom and OC it for top results.