[SOLVED] GPU crashes after a few minutes under load, fans stop spinning. Please help

Dec 16, 2020
My PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vmTqPV

Used Parts; the GPU (980Ti) from a trusted friend and PSU (thermaltake 650W bronze) from a friend's brother, everything else is brand new.

What is happening: the game would randomly crash after 30 min - 2 hours of playing Destiny 2. Sometimes it didnt crash. it also happened when i played dota 2, and very rarely on WOWS and streaming on OBS labs. Computer boots up fine and runs fine when i surf internet or watch youtube. the GPU crashes when i play more graphically intensive games. I recently been running heaven benchmark and it crashes everytime in like 4 min. Before the crash everything seems fine. no artifacts and the temperature is below 70, maybe like 65. When it crashes, the fans stop spining, screen goes black, but the screen comes right back but the fans dont spin back up (it should always be spining) and msi afterburner and gpu z say the graphical load is at 0%. Its like the GPU just turns off randomly. the fans start spinning again as soon as i adjust fan speed in msi afterburner after the crash.

I just installed a clean install of windows 8.1 then upgraded to windows 10. (i have windows 8.1 licence) to see if it was a software issue, but no luck. All drivers are up to date. I followed the advise of JayztwoCents youtuber on installation. I think the PSU may be struggling under load at random? please help me. iv been dealing with this for a while now and am getting real hopeless. first computer build ever. This first image is GPU-z of what happens the moment of the crash on far right, and the aftermath of the crash towards the left side where the dip is. as you can see, temperatures are fine. why is this happening???
unknown.png

Solution
Your 12 voltages are on the low side. They shouldn't be below 11.4 and you are showing 11.5 on at least one.

I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped below 11.4 at some point.

Being your temps seem OK....I would be suspecting power supply.
Dec 16, 2020
Thanks for reply
On the crash that happened this morning, the voltages are at 11.5, 11.5, 11.6 right at the crash.
already ordered a 850W gold PSU on amazon. i hope this fixes it, my friend who i got the GPU from swears the GPU is good and i dont wanna get a new one of those

Thanks for reply
On the crash that happened this morning, the voltages are at 11.5, 11.5, 11.6 right at the crash.
already ordered a 850W gold PSU on amazon. i hope this fixes it, my friend who i got the GPU from swears the GPU is good and i dont wanna get a new one of those
You're welcome.
Once you get down around 11.4....crashes can start happening.
....and when PSUs heat up....the voltages can drop more under load.
I wouldn't be comfortable at 11.5....too close to 11.4 for me. ;)

Reactions: Pikachu_lvl23
power supply should arrive on monday night so ill update then. thanks again for help.
You're welcome....and regardless...if I saw my 12V running at 11.5....as I said before...I wouldn't be all that comfortable. Even if it's not causing THIS problem (although I think there's a real good chance it is)....it has the potential to cause all sorts of other problems. At the very least....it is something I would eliminate.