Question GPU crashes to a black screen under load ?

Jul 1, 2024
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a used PowerColor RX 580 4GB, and it's been crashing under load. Here's what I've tried so far:

• Cleaned the GPU thoroughly.
  • Repasted the GPU and replaced the thermal pads.
  • Flashed the BIOS.
  • Installed the latest drivers.
  • Tested with Furmark, and the temps stay below 70 degrees, but it crashes after about 8 minutes.
  • Underclocked the GPU, but it still crashes after 8 minutes of stress testing.
Despite these efforts, the GPU continues to crash. It goes to a black screen, the PC fans keep running, but the GPU fan stops after the black screen. Before I did anything to the card, it would black screen immediately after about 30 seconds of running Furmark.

Any ideas on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 1, 2024
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

Full System Specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i3-4130
  • Motherboard: RX7 H81 LGA 1150
  • RAM: 2x 8GB RX7 DDR3
  • GPU: PowerColor RX580 4GB
  • Case: Gaming Raptor Dynamic
  • Cooler: Deep Cool CK 11509
  • PSU: Antec Atom 550W
  • Storage: RX7 NVMe 128GB SSD, 500GB HDD

On GPU Z my GPU is PowerColor RX 580 Mining 4 GB

Jan 1, 2024
Type in the search bar dxdiag then run then go to display and look down in the notes to see if there is any problem.
If nothing shows, they try using this Software [ https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/ ] download it and select the 2nd option. Once you open it, click on the Sensors tab then do a stress test on the gpu and see if there is something wrong by looking at the sensors tab (I would say record it to see it multiple times)

Jan 1, 2024
I know little too on GPU diagnosing since im still learning it but i wont give answers without full knowledge, so i would say on the sensors tab click Log to file, this will create a text with the logs recording in it, do the stress test on the GPU without it crashing (maybe for 1-2 minutes), then stop the stress test. After that click the Log to file to end it then send the .txt file here so any other experts can give their right answer

Jul 1, 2024
I discovered a new finding. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when I plug my PC into a large 40-inch TV, there's no display. However, when I use my 24-inch monitor, the display works fine. I tested the large 40-inch TV with other PC works perfectly.

Jul 1, 2024
Update:

Well, a new problem has occurred. I managed to run the GPU for 20+ minutes by improving the thermal pads for the VRAM, but then it started to crash with a green screen. Since then, I haven't been able to run it for 20+ minutes on a normal setting.

However, I did manage to run it for 20+ minutes by underpowering the GPU to -50 in MSI Afterburner, but it crashed again, this time with a white screen.

Any further suggestions on what I should try next?