Question GPU Crashing, upon troubleshooting: found it’s grounding see image

William_188

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016
Hi all, seeking some help / advice.

So let me start from the top: GPU is a 2080, and I’ve been using it for a few years no problem. Recently I’ve been noticing any little bump leads to a total system crash.

Today I finally got to a point where I tried to post and ASUS mobo displayed GPU light. Could get it to work with finagling wires, but smacked the desk and alas total system crash.

Here’s my findings upon taking the EKWB back plate off the GPU. So, my question to you guys is; this thing fried? I mean it still works (given the above) but, kinda worried about this thing. Can I just slap some more blue tape in that area and keep it moving?

PICTURESThanks in advance and apologies if I broke any rules.

Hi all, seeking some help / advice.

So let me start from the top: GPU is a 2080, and I’ve been using it for a few years no problem. Recently I’ve been noticing any little bump leads to a total system crash.

Today I finally got to a point where I tried to post and ASUS mobo displayed GPU light. Could get it to work with finagling wires, but smacked the desk and alas total system crash.

Here’s my findings upon taking the EKWB back plate off the GPU. So, my question to you guys is; this thing fried? I mean it still works (given the above) but, kinda worried about this thing. Can I just slap some more blue tape in that area and keep it moving?

PICTURESThanks in advance and apologies if I broke any rules.
If you mean the white-ish spot it looks like something leaked on it, some kind of short or blown capacitor or other element.
As for failure after "slapping" it's probably due to some loose contact either inPCIe bus or power in contacts

Reactions: William_188

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Well. having seen military hardware hold together with spit and bailing wire, you could possibly get 10 more years out of that setup.

Or you could run into a situation where the next bad bump renders your computer completely useless, including loss of all personal data.

Here's what I would do: everything you mentioned in your question to hold the current machine together, plus start putting money aside for a new system.

Right now, it's still flying, but we all know it's a roll of the dice at this point. See this for what it is: a sign it's time to start on your next system build, and don't put if off anymore.

Reactions: William_188