Question GPU damaged by PSU?

Nov 5, 2022
i done goofed, i didnt change my powersupply and went from an RX 550 to an RX 580(4GB) and ive been using the same 320W psu, its been working for 3 years to the shock of many but now under load the graphics card shuts off is it damaged or will a stronger power supply fix the issue

If you have been using it for 3 years, and it is only having a problem now, I would expect something has worn out. Its possible the PSU (as you made no mention of the model) has been worn out or finally kicked it because its low quality. It is also possible the poor PSU wattage (or its death) has hurt the GPU. The question is if the GPU, PSU, or Both are hurt. Start with a new PSU. I would not be surprised if the GPU has been hurt, but a PSU would be needed either way, so start there. If the problem still persists with a new PSU, the GPU is also in need of replacement.

Reactions: snipee83452
Nov 5, 2022
If you have been using it for 3 years, and it is only having a problem now, I would expect something has worn out. Its possible the PSU (as you made no mention of the model) has been worn out or finally kicked it because its low quality. It is also possible the poor PSU wattage (or its death) has hurt the GPU. The question is if the GPU, PSU, or Both are hurt. Start with a new PSU. I would not be surprised if the GPU has been hurt, but a PSU would be needed either way, so start there. If the problem still persists with a new PSU, the GPU is also in need of replacement.

Thankss yes ill be replacing the psu deffo not risking it
Found the issue too, the bloody power cable from the motherboard to the GPU was damaged a new one sorted the problems lol....

Thankss yes ill be replacing the psu deffo not risking it
Found the issue too, the bloody power cable from the motherboard to the GPU was damaged a new one sorted the problems lol....
Whatever lead to a melted (I assume) power cable is not good. Get a good quality PSU, which will prevent that kind of issue from happening again. Good PSU will prevent over-volting, can provide better more reliable power, and some may even act as a surge protector of sorts.