Question GPU does not turn on with rest of computer

Oct 28, 2024
I'm really hoping someone here can shed some light on what's happening with my PC.

The PC was built around two years ago by a friend, and was not cleaned until recently. I used compressed air and made sure all the fans were free of dust. The computer worked fine before cleaning, but after plugging everything back in, the GPU would not spin up with the rest of the computer. After turning it on and off again a few times, I noticed that the fans on the GPU twitch when the computer is turned off again, but that's it. This happened before after transportation on a long road trip around a year ago, and reseating the GPU fixed the issue back then.

Things I have tried:
- Reseating the GPU several times
-Switching power cords to the PSU
-Changing where the power cord plugs into the PSU

At this point, I'm not sure what else to try. I think I either need a new graphics card or it's the PCI slot (which I don't know how to fix). Any help is greatly appreciated.

GPU: Radeon Sapphire Pulse (not sure the specific specs, but it has two fans on the bottom)

After cleaning the GPU did you thoroughly clean the rest of the computer, especially the slots on the motherboard and the power supply? Don't open the power supply to clean it, simply spray through the holes and slots. You could have dust or something else inside the GPU slot or somewhere else. Used a can of compressed air.

Oct 28, 2024
After cleaning the GPU did you thoroughly clean the rest of the computer, especially the slots on the motherboard and the power supply? Don't open the power supply to clean it, simply spray through the holes and slots. You could have dust or something else inside the GPU slot or somewhere else. Used a can of compressed air.
Should I have taken out the GPU and sprayed into the PCI slot? I left everything plugged in and pretty much just aimed for the fans.

Especially now that the GPU had not been cleaned for a long time, it is best to take it out and clean it away from the computer. That would keep debris from flying all over other components and open slots, also, it will permit you to see more clearly where more cleaning is necessary by looking through cooling veins and so on. Also clean the CPU cooler, then pull the RAM out of their sockets and spray air into all of the open slots on the motherboard.

Oct 28, 2024
Especially now that the GPU had not been cleaned for a long time, it is best to take it out and clean it away from the computer. That would keep debris from flying all over other components and open slots, also, it will permit you to see more clearly where more cleaning is necessary by looking through cooling veins and so on. Also clean the CPU cooler, then pull the RAM out of their sockets and spray air into all of the open slots on the motherboard.
I cleaned everything again more thoroughly and still no luck.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Visually inspect the GPU card edge connectors (there will be one short one, that is normal, it is part of the standard to support hot swap). Visually inspect the pins inside the slot, check for debris that may have gotten in the slot. Try another PCIe slot if possible. Test another GPU in the system to verify the slot is working. Reset motherboard BIOS/ Update motherboard BIOS. Long shot would also be to re-mount the CPU, after all the PCIe lanes for the GPU come directly from there. Misalignment of the CPU can lead to all sorts of things. And of course, if nothing else, full disassembly and reassembly. Never know if there is something simple like a loose cable, damaged cable, etc.

I once found a shorted SATA power cable that had to be removed. System would reboot as soon as windows would load and activate one of the USB controllers, but you could still get into the BIOS.

Damaged SATA data cable was another. Prevented boot until replaced with a new one.