Question GPU Driver

What a strange question, since GTX 960 drivers for Windows 10 have supported WDDM 2.0 since its launch in 2015, so you shouldn't be able to find any Windows 10 drivers that don't support it.

It would make sense though, if you are using an earlier OS that doesn't support WDDM 2.0 and are trying to run a program that requires DX12 or WDDM 2.0. In that case there are no GPUs or drivers in the world, inexpensive or not, that support such features in Windows 8.1 or 7 or earlier. The only solution would be to upgrade to Windows 10.

Reactions: CountMike

abletudu

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2013
I am trying to upgrade a little at a time to be Windows 11 ready. I am not sure if my rig would be ready or what I need to get.

I have 16 GB DDR3 Ram, a Z77x-D3H Gigabyte mother board, A geforce gtx 960 GPU, a i3-3220 CPU, a 800W PSU, an internal 1TB SSD, an internal 500GB HDD, an external removable 16TB SSD. I am running Windows 10 Home.

I need to purchase the needed items, but since I am on Social Security I would have to get the needed things one at a time and as inexpensive as possible until I have evedrything then install. I wouldn't change anything until I have evedrything I need.

I am trying to upgrade a little at a time to be Windows 11 ready. I am not sure if my rig would be ready or what I need to get.

I have 16 GB DDR3 Ram, a Z77x-D3H Gigabyte mother board, A geforce gtx 960 GPU, a i3-3220 CPU, a 800W PSU, an internal 1TB SSD, an internal 500GB HDD, an external removable 16TB SSD. I am running Windows 10 Home.

I need to purchase the needed items, but since I am on Social Security I would have to get the needed things one at a time and as inexpensive as possible until I have evedrything then install. I wouldn't change anything until I have evedrything I need.
Only "one at a time" upgrade could be newer GPU but that's not going to help much or at all without rest of parts, MB, CPU and RAM. because that CPU is exceptionally weak even when it was brand new..

You don't have to buy anything to run Windows 11 unsupported, only perhaps a USB flash stick. Use Rufus to make the Windows install media, and tick the box to skip the check for compatible CPU, TPM and Secure Boot. Of course Windows 11 will only work for as long as Microsoft allows it on your hardware, as build 24H2 already excludes some older than yours.

I would remove the internal SSD and install Windows 11 to the HDD. After it's installed (it should activate itself if you have Windows 10 activated now), you can put back the SSD and choose in the BIOS which drive to boot from. This way you can continue to use Windows 10 for the whole year it's still supported, and also try out Windows 11 too, to see how you like it.

TRENDING THREADS