[SOLVED] GPU drivers corrupt on restart

eligri97

Reputable
Sep 20, 2016
Hi!

I keep running into this odd problem.. Every 2-3 min, no matter what I'm doing, my screen goes black for about 5 seconds. Monitor then reconnects, and all runs fine. The cursor freezes a few times during the seconds before this happens.

Uninstalling drivers via device manager and reinstalling does nothing. However, uninstalling via DDU then reinstalling drivers fixes the issue - until I reboot! Then the problem comes back.

I've tried:
Multiple versions of the gpu drivers
Setting the GPU to performance
Disabling windows updates for graphics drivers
DDU uninstall
Device manager uninstall

The problem is not present when using onboard graphics.

No overclock applied, temps are fine.

Setup:
Vega 64
i7 4790k
16gb ram ddr3, matching sticks
Z97-a
750w gold rated psu
Windows 10

I'm using hard-tubed watercooling, so can't try another GPU. I have however used this exact same setup with a different vega GPU previously, no issues.

Cheers

Solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
On top of what terry said above:

Make sure you are installing the absolute latest version of drivers for the Vega64.
Make sure Windows is fully up to date.

If that's already done or you do it to no avail then download and run Malwarebytes to see if you are infected.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

if that comes back with nothing and doesn't fix anything then that just leaves me to think that your Windows installation is bad and you should do a backup of important files such as documents, game saves, etc. Basically things that don't already backup to a cloud of some kind and can't be downloaded from somewhere then do a clean install of Windows.

But this is all assuming it's not the GPU but a software issue.
The only way to know if it's not the GPU is to test the GPU in another system.

This kind of thing is why I don't do hard tubing, no matter how much I really want to because it's sexy AF. Because if I ever need to move around hardware for troubleshooting, it becomes a serious pain in the butt.