Question GPU Drivers not recognized until a few minutes after logging into Windows

marshen

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
Recently I've been facing an issue. When I boot my PC up and log in to Windows, my PC seems to take some time to recognize the GPU Drivers and software like HWM and Afterburner fail to detect a GPU. After a couple of minutes, my screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then everything goes back to normal. When the drivers aren't detected, stuff like NCP and GeForce Experience also don't show up in the system tray or the context menu. The GPU fans are all running properly when this happens and considering I have a Ryzen 5 3600, I wouldn't get any display at all if it was the GPU itself that wasn't being detected.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what's happening here. I've tried performing a fresh install of the GPU drivers via. DDU but it didn't help. Also, I've recently made some big upgrades to my system, namely the Motherboard, Processor and RAM and this issue only started happening after I reinstalled windows last Sunday.

System Specs:
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (441.12)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Windows 10 Home (v1909)

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that are captured during the lead up to GPU recognition.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor as best you can to observe system performance at least when the screen is not black. Idea being to determine to some extent what the system is doing or trying to do.... Maybe see some "history" there as well.

Instead of using DDU, manually do your own update of the GPU drivers directly via the manufacturer's website.

Download, reinstall, and reconfigure when you have control of the process.

marshen

Reputable
Nov 2, 2018
Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that are captured during the lead up to GPU recognition.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor as best you can to observe system performance at least when the screen is not black. Idea being to determine to some extent what the system is doing or trying to do.... Maybe see some "history" there as well.

Instead of using DDU, manually do your own update of the GPU drivers directly via the manufacturer's website.

Download, reinstall, and reconfigure when you have control of the process.
Hi, this is my reliability history. 14:33 is around the time when I started my PC today. It shows the audio and graphics drivers were successfully installed at that time and if I look at the previous days when I remember this happening, it also shows 'successful driver installation':

View: https://i.imgur.com/Paf4od2.png

Task manager looks normal. Even the PC seems to function normally when the driver isn't recognized. Just the NVIDIA features are missing and Afterburner/HWM doesn't display any GPU stats.