[SOLVED] GPU drop and CPU spike intermittently causing FPS drop

tfahrnbruch

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hi,

I recently snagged a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB card to pair with my i5-4690. I'm seeing what I think you'd describe as a GPU drop at the same time as a CPU spike that results in a FPS dip or stuttering. It's only momentary and it goes right back up. I see this when doing a furmark or unigine bench but I most noticed it when playing diablo 3 and I'd be running along and the fps would drop from 125+ down to 20 or 30 and then right back up again. This is what it looks like when I caught a task manager with unigine running and it's representative of what it looks like when playing Diablo 3 or furmark running. As you can it's not like the CPU is pegged but a dip both ways and then back humming along.

I appreciate any thoughts?

imgur link to picture as I couldn't embed it seems

Solution
I think I found the trouble. My desktop background is a slideshow setting for every minute. Each time it would change the CPU would spike (mind you not high but from nearly idle while running FurMark to 30% or so) and that would correlate to the GPU drop.

Right now I've got the slideshow disabled and haven't had the hitch yet. I can reproduce consistently by right clicking and hitting next desktop.

Super strange deal - I'm hoping this is really what the trouble is as I was pulling my hair out and about to pull the trigger on a new PSU and supply/stock is a mess for that.

tfahrnbruch

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Temps seem to be in reason. HWMonitor reports the processor topping out around 55-65C while the GPU tops out around 73C and the fan steps up or down to seemingly maintain that indefinitely.

Something I didn't think about but may be a clue - when I'm typing or mousing around doing literally anything (outlook, word document, even once during typing this post) it's like the computer as a whole stutters. I can type something and it will lock up momentarily like a letter or two and then catch up all of a sudden and type out what was missed. When I look at the Task Manager following that I see a spike on the CPU graph but nothing major but it seems to correlate to the brief 'hitch'

tfahrnbruch

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I think I found the trouble. My desktop background is a slideshow setting for every minute. Each time it would change the CPU would spike (mind you not high but from nearly idle while running FurMark to 30% or so) and that would correlate to the GPU drop.

Right now I've got the slideshow disabled and haven't had the hitch yet. I can reproduce consistently by right clicking and hitting next desktop.

Super strange deal - I'm hoping this is really what the trouble is as I was pulling my hair out and about to pull the trigger on a new PSU and supply/stock is a mess for that.

Solution