[SOLVED] GPU dying or faulty drivers?

PrimeOne

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Recently i bought Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, but I'm having issues getting to actually play the game.

Whenever i do play for maybe 10-15 minutes, i get a lot of artifacts on both of my screens, then either i get bluescreened or the game crashes to desktop.
Playing other games don't cause any artifacts to appear.

Picture of the screen: View: https://imgur.com/a/8zRxRcp

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: ASUS STRIX-GTX1080TI
Ram: G.Skill Sniper X DDR4 @3600MHz 2x8GB
Storage: Samsung 860 PRO 2 TB

Solution
Dang...
I guess stuff just happens.

The card has a 3 year warranty(1080Ti isn't 3 years old yet) - see if you can get Asus to repair or replace the card for you.
The stock equivalent to the 1080Ti is 2070 super. Overclocked, it's bumped up to 2080 Super.

PrimeOne

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
That looks like gpu death(would see 'space invader icons' instead of those white squares), but is that the only game you experience this issue?
Any overclocks?
Make and model of the power supply?

Yes it is the only game i experience this issue with (so far at least).

Only the base overclocks from factory, haven't done any overclocking myself.

PSU is a Corsair CX750M.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What kind of temps does the gpu see in game?
Use Display Driver Uninstaller(requires safe mode to run) to remove the old driver, install the newest from Nvidia, and try again.

I would also be interested to know if you can reproduce this issue other than with that game. Download Unigine Heaven Benchmark: https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
Make the following selections:
Preset: Custom
API: DirectX 11
Quality: Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme
Stereo 3D: Disabled
Multi-monitor: Disabled
Anti-aliasing: x8
Full Screen: Check
Resolution: Select your monitor's native resolution
Click Run, and let it run on it's own, for at least the same time you run into the crashes in game.

PrimeOne

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
What kind of temps does the gpu see in game?
Use Display Driver Uninstaller(requires safe mode to run) to remove the old driver, install the newest from Nvidia, and try again.

I would also be interested to know if you can reproduce this issue other than with that game. Download Unigine Heaven Benchmark: https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
Make the following selections:
Preset: Custom
API: DirectX 11
Quality: Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme
Stereo 3D: Disabled
Multi-monitor: Disabled
Anti-aliasing: x8
Full Screen: Check
Resolution: Select your monitor's native resolution
Click Run, and let it run on it's own, for at least the same time you run into the crashes in game.

Playing the Star Wars game i didn't go above 75 degrees Celsius before it started dying, and when i ran the Heaven Benchmark for around the same time that it took to crash the Star Wars game, it went full black screen on all monitors, and didn't respond to any input (could still hear sound though).
Black screen happened at 79 degrees Celsius.

New clean drivers was the first thing i did when it started reoccurring, so that's already been tried.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gotta be a hardware issue then...
What graphics setting do you normally play Star Wars at? Do you still experience the crash on the lowest setting - or perhaps it takes longer?
In the other games where the issue is absent, are you running ulta graphics? Perhaps those games aren't very gpu hungry...

What I'm getting at: the issue occurs when you push the gpu hard enough. Now, this could also be caused by the psu failing to supply enough power to the gpu. How old is it?

Ram: G.Skill Sniper X DDR4 @3600MHz 2x8GB
What is the motherboard make and model?
3600mhz isn't widely supported among Ryzen 2000, if at all...
Remove the memory overclock and test again.

PrimeOne

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
What graphics setting do you normally play Star Wars at? Do you still experience the crash on the lowest setting - or perhaps it takes longer?
In the other games where the issue is absent, are you running ulta graphics? Perhaps those games aren't very gpu hungry...

What I'm getting at: the issue occurs when you push the gpu hard enough. Now, this could also be caused by the psu failing to supply enough power to the gpu. How old is it?

What is the motherboard make and model?
3600mhz isn't widely supported among Ryzen 2000, if at all...
Remove the memory overclock and test again.

At first i played with all ultra, and had no fps lag, but crashed. Then i tried everything on minimum settings and the problem persisted. The difference in graphics settings don't seem the change the time it takes to crash.

The PSU is about a year old, since the old one i had had for some 8'ish years died.

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC
So it SHOULD be able to run @3600MHz.

Removed XMP overclock and it went to 2132MHz, same crash happened after the same timing as usual.
When i tried to enable XMP and set the ram to 3600MHz again, it couldn't boot up (Onboard LEDs said "CPU is not detected or fail").
Then reset CMOS and just letting it stay at 2132MHz for now.

And just want to say, appreciate the help im getting :)

EDIT:
And yes, in other games where the issue is absent i run ultra graphics.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 versions of the CX750M. Which one is yours?
'Green' label:

'Gray' label:

Removed XMP overclock and it went to 2132MHz, same crash happened after the same timing as usual.
When i tried to enable XMP and set the ram to 3600MHz again, it couldn't boot up (Onboard LEDs said "CPU is not detected or fail").
Then reset CMOS and just letting it stay at 2132MHz for now.
While that motherboard does support 3600mhz, it's also up to the cpu's Internal Memory Controller.
Test the memory using the free version of Memtest86: https://www.memtest86.com/

What are the games that haven't crashed, and what resolution are you running?
The timing of the crashes is pretty consistent, save for some games, but those games may not be hard on the gpu, even on ultra settings.

PrimeOne

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
PSU is gray label.

Memtest found no errors through 4 passes.

Other games I've been playing recently are World of Warcraft, Assassins Creed Odyssey, World War Z, Monster Hunter: World, Middle-earth: Shadow of War.

All games have been played in 1920x1080.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Other games I've been playing recently are World of Warcraft, Assassins Creed Odyssey, World War Z, Monster Hunter: World, Middle-earth: Shadow of War.
-WoW: never was very big on gpu resources, but I haven't played since endgame Legion... gpu load shouldn't be that big anyways
-ACO: that one's a doozy...
-WWZ: not as heavy as ACO, but it does like some ram
-MHW: another rough title
-ME SoW: another decent load
I was hoping to find a common denominator with these, but all these put a nice load on the gpu on ultra - save for maybe WoW.

Motherboard drivers up to date? Running the latest bios?
Run a Windows system check: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

PrimeOne

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
-WoW: never was very big on gpu resources, but I haven't played since endgame Legion... gpu load shouldn't be that big anyways
-ACO: that one's a doozy...
-WWZ: not as heavy as ACO, but it does like some ram
-MHW: another rough title
-ME SoW: another decent load
I was hoping to find a common denominator with these, but all these put a nice load on the gpu on ultra - save for maybe WoW.

Motherboard drivers up to date? Running the latest bios?
Run a Windows system check: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Windows system check proved everything to be in order.

So i tried starting up the other games, been less than a week since i played Odyssey, played for about half an hour and then my first monitor went completely red and the other black. So I'm guessing that my GPU must have died yesterday, and i suspect that the other games will cause a crash as well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Dang...

The card has a 3 year warranty(1080Ti isn't 3 years old yet) - see if you can get Asus to repair or replace the card for you.
The stock equivalent to the 1080Ti is 2070 super. Overclocked, it's bumped up to 2080 Super.

Solution

PrimeOne

Honorable
Aug 24, 2014
Dang...

True, <Mod Edit> happens. But i appreciate the help.

Will see if i can get my warranty on it.

Last edited by a moderator: