Question GPU failure?

Dec 3, 2021
I am fairly confident that my GPU just failed. My computer was running and I heard a click and my display went blank. My computer works fine when I take the card out (integrated graphics) but after cleaning the GPU and putting it back in it is still giving me a blank display. The GPU fans are spinning and seem to be working but no display.

The card is 5+ years old... Is there any other things I can do to check/confirm? This is my first desktop so I don't have an extra motherboard or GPU to test with if that makes a difference. There is also only one pcie slot so if it is that then I am screwed :(

Either way with the market for GPUs right now I am probably screwed no matter what. Lol.

InvalidError

Titan
Go in BIOS, enable IGP multi-GPU or whatever it is called on your board so the IGP stays enabled even with the GPU installed and see if Windows still detects the GPU that way. A friend of mine lended me a "dead" (no boot) RX580 and it worked fine in Windows that way. I re-flashed the vBIOS with a factory image from the TPU archive and that fixed the no-boot issue.

If there are no signs of the GPU in Windows (or lspci in Linux), then there is some deeper issue with the GPU.

Dec 3, 2021
Good advice thanks. When I do that though, now neither of the graphics works no matter where I plug in the HDMI. What does that mean?

Go in BIOS, enable IGP multi-GPU or whatever it is called on your board so the IGP stays enabled even with the GPU installed and see if Windows still detects the GPU that way. A friend of mine lended me a "dead" (no boot) RX580 and it worked fine in Windows that way. I re-flashed the vBIOS with a factory image from the TPU archive and that fixed the no-boot issue.

If there are no signs of the GPU in Windows (or lspci in Linux), then there is some deeper issue with the GPU.

InvalidError

Titan
Good advice thanks. When I do that though, now neither of the graphics works no matter where I plug in the HDMI. What does that mean?
If you set the BIOS to give priority to the IGP, boot output should be on the IGP's video outputs.

If it sounds like Windows is booting despite not seeing output on the IGP, then it would seem Windows is booting using the GPU for output and you aren't getting output for whatever reason. Maybe try a different GPU output, cable and monitor input to rule out a bad GPU/monitor port or cable.

Dec 3, 2021
Ok so I got it so that it boots with the GPU using integrated graphics. The problem is in device manager it has the exclamation and says it is code 43. I thought I installed the driver but it isn't working and the AMD driver installer just says "no and graphics driver installed or it isn't working properly". When I plug HDMI to GPU there is still nothing even after I thought I fixed it. The exclamation even went away and then I reset and still nothing when HDMI is in the GPU. Thoughts?

(Also thank you so much for your help. I deeply appreciate it.)

InvalidError

Titan
Check if the TPU database has a vBIOS for your card and if it does, try your luck re-flashing it. As a consumer, there isn't a whole lot more that you can try.

That means there is a problem with the card. It doesn't tell what is wrong specifically.
Drivers failing to recognize the GPU seem to imply there is an issue with the device ID and the device ID is in the vBIOS, so a successful re-flash may very well fix it if that is the only thing wrong with it.

Dec 1, 2021
If you set the BIOS to give priority to the IGP, boot output should be on the IGP's video outputs.

If it sounds like Windows is booting despite not seeing output on the IGP, then it would seem Windows is booting using the GPU for output and you aren't getting output for whatever reason. Maybe try a different GPU output, cable and monitor input to rule out a bad GPU/monitor port or cable.
how to set my bios to give priority to my GPU instead of IGPU, ive tried so many settings but it dont work

InvalidError

Titan
how to set my bios to give priority to my GPU instead of IGPU, ive tried so many settings but it dont work
Are you seeing the BIOS' POST/setup screen on IGP outputs? If no, then it means the BIOS is already attempting to use the GPU and you aren't seeing anything when using GPU outputs because there is a problem with either the GPU, GPU output, cable or monitor.

Setting the BIOS to prioritize the IGP is so you get at least one usable output to attempt troubleshooting from. Forcing the PC to use the GPU won't do you any good when the GPU is unable to give you any output for whatever reason.

Dec 1, 2021
Are you seeing the BIOS' POST/setup screen on IGP outputs? If no, then it means the BIOS is already attempting to use the GPU and you aren't seeing anything when using GPU outputs because there is a problem with either the GPU, GPU output, cable or monitor.

Setting the BIOS to prioritize the IGP is so you get at least one usable output to attempt troubleshooting from. Forcing the PC to use the GPU won't do you any good when the GPU is unable to give you any output for whatever reason.
I do see the BIOS POST/setup screen

Dec 1, 2021
On IGP or GPU? If it is on GPU, then the BIOS is already using the GPU.

The option for which outputs to prioritize should be on the same BIOS setup page where you enable IGP multi-monitor or whatever it may be called on your board.
It's on the GPU, I guess I was wrong, thanks for the help :D