Question GPU fan not working the right way?

Feb 12, 2023
Yesterday I built a new pc and I'm running a 3070 ti aorus master. Tried to run a game and when gpu temp increased to 50° C one fan started to spin at (what I assume to be) max speed and it's very loud. Moreover, when I exited the game and gpu temp decreased by 20° C the fan still continued to spin at full speed basically untill I turned off my pc and turned it on again (reloading pc doesn't help as it still spins after it). I'm very new to pc building and still don't know much about it so I just wanted to know how normal that is and what I can do to lower my fan speed or maybe optimize it the right way?

Feb 12, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:

CPU: Intel core i-5 12400
Motherboard: Gigabyte b660 gaming x (ddr 4)
Ram: Kingston Fury Black x2 16 gb
SSD: SSD M.2 ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro [512 Gb]; 2.5 SATA GIGABYTE [256 Gb]
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Ti AORUS MASTER
PSU: DEEPCOOL DQ850-M-V2L [850w]
Chassis: XPG DEFENDER WHITE
Monitor: ASUS VG248QG

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Default nowadays is for fanless mode on every card I've seen lately. Personally, I feel that's a useless gimmick in a gaming pc, and most dislike the sudden on/off at @ 65°±.

As such there's a switch. It's either software driven, through Gigabyte gpu software, or it's a tiny physical switch on the side of the gpu.

Changing that switch to standard mode should turn on all the fans, even at low usage, and they should behave normally. If it doesn't, the gpu is bunk and requires RMA, being new that'll be through whomever you got the gpu from.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
As Karaj said, I use software to turn off 0 decibel Mode. I have mine set at about 40 % and I can't hear them, although I should point out I am dang near deaf, so take it with the usual grain of salt. My temps rarely get to 50c on either my GPU or CPU so I don't mess wwith it.

Reactions: Xevizz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, I dislike the zero decibel/fanless mode. The gpu/heatsink is totally passive (and surrounded by plastic shroud), so heats up to 65ish° rather quickly. So if a 200w card was using @ 100w, it's relying on a passive system to cool it, but it's very ineffective, jumps to 65ish°, fans kick on at a loud 3000rpm for the 3-5 seconds it takes to cool the card back down to under @ 60°, then shut off. Rinse and repeat. Annoying to say the least, as well as basically maintaining the card in the 60-65° range.

Same card in standard mode, same 100w, fans are active, as is the cooling, so the card sits at closer to 40°C, and the fans are at 1500rpm and barely audible.

Anything above that, like heavy gaming with a gpu above 65° is moot, the gpu acts the exact same either way, so as I say, it's a gimmick that's not particularly worth the effort.

Feb 12, 2023
Thanks to everyone who tried to help!
I used the fan-on mode in a gigabyte software and it didn't help, but then I noticed that under my gpu there was a pci-e cable pressing onto the middle fan (I have very tight cables that don't bend easily). I pressed it down and it solved the issue. I guess middle fan wasn't working because the cable was in a way and as such the first fan was working full speed to compensate. I also tried to unplug all of the pci-e cables to check if there was dust in the way then plug it back again so that might have helped too. So far no issues with temp or noise.