Question GPU Fan won't stop spinning at full speed ?

Jan 8, 2023
My graphics card recently started making a buzzing sound whenever the fan would ramp up (blower style cooler), and so I decided to open my 2080 ti to clean it out. I disassembled the blower fan, cleaned the dust off, re-lubricated the bearing, and reassembled the fan. Once I turned the computer back on, the fan only runs at 100% speed now. The weird thing , though, is when I boot the computer in safe mode, the GPU fan runs fine. When I uninstall the NVIDIA graphics driver, the fan runs fine. Only when I reinstall NVIDIA graphics drivers does the fan start to ramp up to 100% speed again. I even tried a driver roll back, to no avail. MSI Afterburner does nothing to change the fan speed. I even installed a software called FanControl. It tells me that the speed sensor for my GPU fan is missing. Is a new fan needed for my GPU?

Reactions: m.sarfaraaz.osman
Feb 3, 2023
Have this same problem on my Palit GTX970 recently. didnt dive as deep. gonna try windows without nvidia drivers and see if it calms itself.
difference on mine is that is slows down to normal every few reboots.

on msi afterburner the % fan speed doesn't override it. when the fan is calm and i set it to 100% the RPM is the same as when its going crazy.