[SOLVED] GPU fans spin up at idle until mouse is moved..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2019
Hello everyone, so as the title says my GPU fans spin up to max revs after about 15 - 20 mins of idling becoming very audible even more than while gaming, I've tried to:

-Find the source of this behavior but as soon as I move the mouse the fans lower the revs becoming quiet again.
-I've played around with the settings modifying the fan curve and resetting all the software to the factory defaults.
-I've also done some searching but the only posts I could find describing something similar were from 2011-2012 and related to Windows 7-8 on different video cards or spinning up the CPU fan due to a process using idle time.
-I've updated Radeon Software to the latest version.
-I've also disabled my antivirus completely.
-I've opened up my case vacuumed it, the filters and the components.

I should mention this has been going on for only 2 weeks after more than 1 year of installing this card, also there are no overclocks and Windows did update recently but I'm not sure if it's related, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

System Specs:

MOBO: ASRock AB350M Pro4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S24
GPU: AORUS RX580 8Gb (GV-RX580AORUS-8GD) running the latest Radeon Software (Version 20.3.1)
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 16GB
PSU: EVGA 650 B3
CASE: Fractal Design DEFINE MINI C

Jun 19, 2019
UPDATE: I've found this thread (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-fans-speed-increasing-while-afk.3364461/ ) which is basically what's happening to me but the solution is very vague, it just says it might be a motherboard issue if windows was reinstalled. Anyone able to make a suggestion based on this information?

UPDATE_2: It was a mining trojan, ran a full scan with kaspersky free and it got rid of it. Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.