QualityDamage

Prominent
Feb 4, 2020
I have the Sapphire R9 290x Vapor-X 8gb GPU. I have 3 fans, when I play RDR2 my End Fans just stop completely when my GPU is at 70c and then they don't cut back on until like a min or so passes by that time my GPU hits 90c.
I use MSI afterburner to control my fan speed manually, I have it set to 80% when playing RDR.
I recently uninstalled my GPU drivers and Reinstalled them and it didn't fix the issue so I went ahead and cleaned the GPU and it didn't fix it either.
I have no Idea if it's a Hardware issue or a Software Issue.

Solution
Except my fans shouldn't be cutting off at 70c to let my gpu hit high degrees before cooling itself. I started to experience this problem a week ago so it's never happened before.
Depends on which part of the pcb is actually getting to 70C.
GPU die isnt the only thing that is heating up and needs cooling,there are vrm's that heat up alongside many things.
For vrm's,a thermal pad slapped on the top of them is typically enough for them to be cool.But on those old beefy cards,some parts of the pcb needed fan cooling,rather than a thermal pad.So it doesnt mean that the fan shtting of has anything to do with the gou die temp,it may be something else.Have you tried repasting the gpu die?

QualityDamage

Prominent
Feb 4, 2020
Hmmm...
There might be a reason to that fan shutting down,and it may be because the part of the PCB its cooling isnt hot enough to need cooling.
After 90C,all 3 fans spin at 80%?
Also what are your idle temps?
Well it doesn't hit 90c and cut back on it could be at like 83c and all the fans cut back on. The fans do return to 80% fan speed when cutting back on. My idle temp is 50c at 48% fan speed with only one fan turning.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Except my fans shouldn't be cutting off at 70c to let my gpu hit high degrees before cooling itself. I started to experience this problem a week ago so it's never happened before.
GPU die isnt the only thing that is heating up and needs cooling,there are vrm's that heat up alongside many things.
For vrm's,a thermal pad slapped on the top of them is typically enough for them to be cool.But on those old beefy cards,some parts of the pcb needed fan cooling,rather than a thermal pad.So it doesnt mean that the fan shtting of has anything to do with the gou die temp,it may be something else.Have you tried repasting the gpu die?

Solution

QualityDamage

Prominent
Feb 4, 2020
I replaced the Thermal Paste in November 2019. Should I do it again?

Reactions: Dj0gany

QualityDamage

Prominent
Feb 4, 2020
Have you ever noticed in Radeon Wattman "...settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure?" message? Were there random crashes?
Also, you can test with the earliest driver.
+ make sure that you don't have any other GPU workaround or overclocking software|| profiles active
obviously, if your GPU dusty, as my dog with fleas...
Yes I have received that error but it has been like 3 months ago and I haven't received it again.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I have a HD7950/ R9 200 in my other system and have noticed that if I apply any kind of manual tweak to the fan curve, then sometime the fans stop spinning randomly.

I fixed it by doing a fresh install of everything and then never touching the the automated fan settings ever again. (game in peace knowing all is taken care of automatically)

QualityDamage

Prominent
Feb 4, 2020
I have a HD7950/ R9 200 in my other system and have noticed that if I apply any kind of manual tweak to the fan curve, then sometime the fans stop spinning randomly.

I fixed it by doing a fresh install of everything and then never touching the the automated fan settings ever again. (game in peace knowing all is taken care of automatically)
I found the issue, I took my GPU apart and when I put everything back together and then turn the computer on. The GPU fans turned on really fast all of them. I took a screwdriver to reach back to where the fans plug in to, to touch the wire and when I did the fans stopped so that means I got a major short in my fans.