GPU for BF3 for q6700

Elite007

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Hello all,
Which one will be the cheapest GPU to pair with either Q6700 or Q8400 with 4GB DDR3, without any major bottleneck that can output 60 fps in BF3 on atleast high settings in a 64 player map.

Note: I do not plan to overclock the CPU

Solution
Well if you dial back just the heavy duty effects, like Post Processing, SSAO/HBAO off - BF3 still looks decent with a mix of high/medium settings. It's the CPU holding you back though in big multi maps. The core 2 quads are great, but with the physics cals required for 64 player maps, it really makes those size maps almost unplayable. good luck though. happy gaming :)

your aiming a little too high with your expectations. The other poster is correct. a 750ti would be a good balanced match. But without OC your CPU and already having an older system, you will simply not be able to get those results with that setup.

The reason I know is i had almost the exact same setup, difference being mine was on overclocked q6600 @ 3ghz, along with a 560ti. In Noshair Canals TDM with only 16-24 players, your talking more in the 40-60 fps, with fluctuations. In a 64 player map, your CPU will fall on it's knees. and gameplay will be very stuttery. You may have to dial the graphical settings back a little to achieve better results.

Elite007

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013

Yeah I can step back to medium to achieve 50+ fps in a 64p map, as far is overclocking is concerned I cannot do it because I have an OEM PC and I have no experience with the bsel mod stuff.

Well if you dial back just the heavy duty effects, like Post Processing, SSAO/HBAO off - BF3 still looks decent with a mix of high/medium settings. It's the CPU holding you back though in big multi maps. The core 2 quads are great, but with the physics cals required for 64 player maps, it really makes those size maps almost unplayable. good luck though. happy gaming :)

Solution

Elite007

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013

Yeah, recommended CPU for BF3 is a core 2 quad though..