• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Build Advice GPU for non gaming PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kurdtnz

Upstanding
Feb 24, 2020
You're over thinking massively for your uses in my opinion. I would go ryzen simply for the upgradability factor, intel keep changing sockets and boards like the wind over the last 4 years.

3400g would be absolutely fine and do everything you need.

Or a straight non apu and the gt 1030.
agree 100%

Jul 10, 2020
You're over thinking massively for your uses in my opinion. I would go ryzen simply for the upgradability factor, intel keep changing sockets and boards like the wind over the last 4 years.

3400g would be absolutely fine and do everything you need.

Or a straight non apu and the gt 1030.
that's why i wanted to go with ryzen in the first place. Its tough because if I get the ryzen 3400g i dont have to get a gpu but who knows if AMD will make more APU's and in that case buying a new ryzen chip and a gpu might cost as much as a cheap mobo and new intel chip.

madmatt30

Titan
Ambassador
that's why i wanted to go with ryzen in the first place. Its tough because if I get the ryzen 3400g i dont have to get a gpu but who knows if AMD will make more APU's and in that case buying a new ryzen chip and a gpu might cost as much as a cheap mobo and new intel chip.

4400g is still a rumour but it's almost a certainty, theres room on the ryzen die for 6c/12t and vega graphics easily.

AMD will not stop making apu's, that's never going to happen.

Also for your uses even something like the 3400g will be good for 3 years minimum.

Unless I needed absolute top end gaming performance nowadays with no real budget issues intel would not even come into consideration at all.

Personally If I didn't fancy the 3400g I'd look at the ryzen 2600, it's $80 less than the 3600 and the performance difference for most cases is absolutely negligible.

madmatt30

Titan
Ambassador
The 3400G seems perfect
As well as a ryzen 7 gaming rig I own a lenovo laptop with the 3500u ( a mobile version of the 3400g with lower clocks and a weaker GPU).
You can actually game on the thing at 720p resolutions and for general desktop use its virtually indistinguishable from my desktop.

The 3400g is pretty much perfect for his uses, I agree.

Jul 10, 2020
Thank you all for the help.
I do agree that the 3400g does seem great and it even comes with a cooler. I guess i will pair it with some B550 board and that should do the trick. I guess I could even try overclocking it a little.

kurdtnz

Upstanding
Feb 24, 2020
Thank you all for the help.
I do agree that the 3400g does seem great and it even comes with a cooler. I guess i will pair it with some B550 board and that should do the trick. I guess I could even try overclocking it a little.
The B550 boards dont support the 3400G.

Jul 10, 2020
The B550 boards dont support the 3400G.
Thats ridiculous... Do you think the 4400g or whatever they call it will be supported on the b450's? If not intel makes more sense here, I will get 6 cores and 6 threads with the intel i5 9600k for the same price as the 3400g. The 9600k also comes bundled with a motherboard in my local store so its like 90$ cheaper.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS