Question GPU has recently just started turning off and i'm not sure why ?

Sep 23, 2023
So I built this pc about 3 months ago with no problems whatsoever but recently my GPU has started losing output randomly while using it, it seems I can play certain games for as long as I like for whatever reason but once I close them after a little bit it loses output and the pc needs to be restarted to regain video from the GPU.

I have a second monitor connected to my motherboard where when the GPU video goes out it freezes for a minute and then becomes the only active monitor until restart, then my GPU defaults back to an old driver where I update it again.

I've been trying to figure out the reason for this happening and I'm at a loss for what the exact issue is and I'm just about to take it in for repair somewhere. It's just been driving me crazy since it has only just now started giving me this issue after not having done anything internally. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you for reading this far.

GPU: 7900 xtx
CPU: i9 13900k
RAM: 4x 16gb 5600 mhz ddr5
MOBO: tomahawk z790

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Apparently, something is causing your main 7900 XTX card to stop working, at which point the BIOS is switching over to the integrated GPU in your i9-13900K. The two GPUs will use different drivers but I'm not sure why your GPU (7900?) reverts to an older driver and needs updating after the crash. This doesn't make sense to me.

When you are playing intensive games, have you checked the GPU temperatures with a monitoring program? You have a powerful processor and heat may be building up inside the computer case, to the point where the GPU starts to throttle or (potentially) stops working. You could use MSI Afterburner to reduce the GPU's maximum power by 5%.

To prove/disprove this theory, remove the side panel from your case and aim a large desk fan into the computer, to reduce hotspots around the GPU's fan intakes. Run a game or a stress test program, e.g. Cinebench or Furmark. I don't believe in needlessly stress testing components with benchmark programs if the computer is working fine, but you might get the system to crash faster with a benchmark app than during extended game play.

Please state the exact model of your PSU and computer case. You'll need a good quality PSU for that rig.

Sep 23, 2023
Apparently, something is causing your main 7900 XTX card to stop working, at which point the BIOS is switching over to the integrated GPU in your i9-13900K. The two GPUs will use different drivers but I'm not sure why your GPU (7900?) reverts to an older driver and needs updating after the crash. This doesn't make sense to me.

When you are playing intensive games, have you checked the GPU temperatures with a monitoring program? You have a powerful processor and heat may be building up inside the computer case, to the point where the GPU starts to throttle or (potentially) stops working. You could use MSI Afterburner to reduce the GPU's maximum power by 5%.

To prove/disprove this theory, remove the side panel from your case and aim a large desk fan into the computer, to reduce hotspots around the GPU's fan intakes. Run a game or a stress test program, e.g. Cinebench or Furmark. I don't believe in needlessly stress testing components with benchmark programs if the computer is working fine, but you might get the system to crash faster with a benchmark app than during extended game play.

Please state the exact model of your PSU and computer case. You'll need a good quality PSU for that rig.
I have checked the temps on the cpu and the gpu when the 7900 xtx stops outputting video and they are under anything that is out of the ordinary usually around 60 for the gpu and 60-70 as well for cpu. The psu that I put in it was a aresgame agt series 850w. And the case is a Corsair 3000d mid tower with 4 external fans and a h115i elite capellix.

Sep 23, 2023
Might be your PSU on its way out, but could also be many other things like hardware or even software issues. Do you notice a pattern of when it happens? Does it just turn off/black screen or BSOD?
Well it started off doing it a little bit after I would play a game and then it would lose display (7900xtx) freeze for a couple of minutes then windows would reboot the drivers automatically and the video would come back, but just recently it only displayed for around 15 minutes then loses display and doesn’t come back until restart, it’s extremely annoying since I’ve had the pc working for 3 freakin months with no issues whatsoever so I’m losing it trying to pin down what the issue is, although at this point I highly suspect it’s something hardware related.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
There's a review on Tom's dated 30 Sept 2021 which says the Aresgame 850W PSU is a mediocre unit. Chances are it's the cause of your problems.

Given the superior quality of the rest of your system and its high power demands, I suggest buying a much higher quality unit around $150 to $200.

See what other people on this forum recommend. Don't cheap out on the most important part of your system. A stable PSU with a 10-year warranty will be money well spent.

Sep 23, 2023
There's a review on Tom's dated 30 Sept 2021 which says the Aresgame 850W PSU is a mediocre unit. Chances are it's the cause of your problems.

Given the superior quality of the rest of your system and its high power demands, I suggest buying a much higher quality unit around $150 to $200.

See what other people on this forum recommend. Don't cheap out on the most important part of your system. A stable PSU with a 10-year warranty will be money well spent.
Yessir will do, do you think I should stay with 850 watts or should I go for a higher rated 1000 watt psu?

Sep 23, 2023

Alright I found a good 1000w psu from evga with a ten year warranty that’ll come in tomorrow. I’ll report back whenever I get everything set up and let you know how it goes thank you for you support this far my man it is much appreciated.

Sep 23, 2023
Alright I put in the new psu, updated all of my drivers and all is well so far! I'll put if anything goes wrong in the thread but for now it looks like getting a new PSU did the trick thank you so much for your help.

Reactions: Kona45primo