Question GPU help - ultra settings - 60fps 1080p

mooripo

Commendable
Mar 2, 2022
Hello,

I currently want to upgrade my GPU and need help with making the right choice.

My target is to play modern games (2024+) on ultra settings with 60fps, on a 1080 resolution and for the GPU to be as future-proof as possible, the lower its temperature the better

I would prefer not to exceed 700usd including shipping to Morocco, this probably means that the GPU's budget would be 550usd (as 150usd should be enough to deliver & import fees)

My current build is
  • CPU : I5-12400F
  • RAM : 32 memory 3200MHz DDR4
  • PSU : Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650W (2021)
  • Storage : 1NVMe 512gb; 1HDD 1tb; 1HDD 1tb; 1HDD 2tb
  • Motherboard : MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4
  • Fans : 4 120mm fans
  • GPU : AMD R9-390x 4GB (the only component that still exists from my previous build)

I've been hesitating between NVIDIA RTX 4070 12gb & AMD 7800 RX 16gb.
(I don't care very much about new features like Ray Tracing, what I seek the most is very good visuals with 60 fps, some sort of future-proofness)

Upon searching more, I just got more confused, would you kindly provide some help.

Thank you all

A lot of this will come down to what price you can actually get things for. MSRP seems to mean very little now days. Some cards sell well above and others sell below.

The newer "super" line of cards from nvidia has made this more complex. You now have even more choices and it has affected the pricing in a good way.

You almost have answered your own question. The 7800xt tends to run faster than a 4070 in many games. This is key you need to look at the games that were tested and see if those are ones you play. Unfortunately there is no way to predict what a future game will do and it will even change as they patch things. Look at how bad starfield ran when it launched on nvidia because the developers seemed to favor amd in their development.

You have eliminated the key difference where nvidia tends to win, ray tracing. You also have the different kinds of fake frame generation which should not make a lot of difference at 1080. Hopefully the game is not so bad that even at 1080 you have to use frame generation to get acceptable rates.

Reactions: mooripo

mooripo

Commendable
Mar 2, 2022
A lot of this will come down to what price you can actually get things for. MSRP seems to mean very little now days. Some cards sell well above and others sell below.

The newer "super" line of cards from nvidia has made this more complex. You now have even more choices and it has affected the pricing in a good way.

You almost have answered your own question. The 7800xt tends to run faster than a 4070 in many games. This is key you need to look at the games that were tested and see if those are ones you play. Unfortunately there is no way to predict what a future game will do and it will even change as they patch things. Look at how bad starfield ran when it launched on nvidia because the developers seemed to favor amd in their development.

You have eliminated the key difference where nvidia tends to win, ray tracing. You also have the different kinds of fake frame generation which should not make a lot of difference at 1080. Hopefully the game is not so bad that even at 1080 you have to use frame generation to get acceptable rates.
Thank you,
though choice right, because the 4070 would probably work best with my PSU, but in the other hand the 7800 seems like works just fine with 650w PSU with a 65 watt CPU