[SOLVED] GPU high usage at low graphics, getting low FPS too

Aug 16, 2020
Hello

Today I noticed a high performance decrease on my RTX 2060 and I can't figure out why. It happened today all of the sudden.
I mostly play modern warfare multiplayer and I was getting steady 144 fps until today. Now i'm getting around 70-130 fps in any match. This happens in Cold War too.
I didn't install any windows update or nvidia driver before this problem happened.

Running MSI Afterburner I noticed that my GPU usage is now around 94-96%, when I used to get around 60-80% since I play with the most setting at low/normal. The speed of the GPU is at 1950mhz (I didn't pay attention to it before so I don't know if it changed)
The CPU usage stayed the same: around 30-60%, and the RAM usage too.

The temperatures stayed the same as before, and even decreased a bit for the graphics card: GPU 58-62C and CPU 50C.
I was using nvidia driver 457.09, I updated it to the newest one but the performance didn't change. Also tried disabling windows gaming mode.

Noticed the same issue with Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTA IV. I get lower fps and high GPU usage even at low graphic settings.
I was playing modern warfare yesterday and it was fine!
If you have any ideas please let me know,

Note: I also noticed an increase in coil whine form the graphics card since about 2-3 weeks ago. I don't know if this could be related.

This is my system:

I7 8700 non k
MSI RTX 2060 gaming z
RAM 16 gb (8x2) corsair vengance pro
Motherboard Rog Strix z370-h gaming
Power supply Thermaltake toughpower GX2 600w

Last edited:
Solution
Roll back to the first driver that Nvidia provided with that card. While playing a game open up task manager and see what’s eating up your GPU.

coil whine is something that comes out of the blue, or just occurs out of no where. Sometimes it goes always, but the main suspect of coil whines have to do with PSU. Although with my 970 coil whines seems to occur, or increase whenever I uncap my FPS locker of course because it’s working harder so more power delivery.

I’m not sure if this is a power supply issue since that Thermaltakes PSU lineup is pretty Good according to research and reviews.

if you have GeForce Experience, try to disable Nvidia Share Play I’ve heard people had issues with that as well.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Roll back to the first driver that Nvidia provided with that card. While playing a game open up task manager and see what’s eating up your GPU.

coil whine is something that comes out of the blue, or just occurs out of no where. Sometimes it goes always, but the main suspect of coil whines have to do with PSU. Although with my 970 coil whines seems to occur, or increase whenever I uncap my FPS locker of course because it’s working harder so more power delivery.

I’m not sure if this is a power supply issue since that Thermaltakes PSU lineup is pretty Good according to research and reviews.

if you have GeForce Experience, try to disable Nvidia Share Play I’ve heard people had issues with that as well.

Solution
Aug 16, 2020

The day after I posted this the problem stopped, and it was working well for the past days and I thought that maybe it was just some update running in the background at the moment.
However the problem reapeared today, after the electricity when off in my house (the PC was off). Could this mean that there's a problem with the power suppply? I just bought it two months ago and I didnt have any problems until last week

Gonna try to desinstall geforce experience

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
The day after I posted this the problem stopped, and it was working well for the past days and I thought that maybe it was just some update running in the background at the moment.
However the problem reapeared today, after the electricity when off in my house (the PC was off). Could this mean that there's a problem with the power suppply? I just bought it two months ago and I didnt have any problems until last week

Gonna try to desinstall geforce experience
It’s possible maybe the psu was damaged after the power went out at your house. Although did the electricity went out while you were using your pc?

TRENDING THREADS