Question GPU is not always detected

Mar 28, 2019
Hi guys,

I just repasted my MSI GS65 Stealth Thin, and when I powered it on I heard click sound (maybe tiny explosion) and a little bit of smoke came out from the place where heatpipes are located. Since the motherboard is upside down I could not properly see where the smoke is coming from. I did open it back and looked at the mother board and did not find any signs of explosion.

When I powered on my laptop it did not recognize the GTX 1060. Then I restarted it and it recognized it. Then I plugged it in and restarted it again and same story GTX is not there. Restarted again and it works fine. Did a stress test, seems to be stable.

I took it to the repair shops here and none of them could understand what is wrong. If something has exploded, then it simply wouldn't work, it would work from time to time?

I updated BIOS, Firmware, did a Full Reset to factory, updated the drivers.. Nothing helps.

Thank you!

There could be a more subtle electrical failure, perhaps a VRM was overloaded and that was the noise you heard. The NVidia chipset can be intermittently faulty. Electronic failures aren't always obvious at first glance, so I understand a shop having a hard time troubleshooting it.