Question GPU is severely underperforming ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 27, 2024
Hey all,

I have this one very annoying issue with my 5700 XT GPU (probably due to very low clock speeds), it performs way worse than it should and i can't seem to find a solution. Whenever i look at benchmark videos from people with the same specs as me it looks like they are getting way more fps in games than i am with my card.

I also tried running 3dMark and the score was below average (Mine was 1180 and the average is 2164)

I've tried reinstalling drivers, using older drivers, changing my gpu settings and tried gaming with and without msi afterburner. I even tried updating my bios and tried tweaking around with the settings but this never seemed to help

And overclocking didnt seem to do anything either. The AMD community couldn't figure it out and they told me i should contact Gigabyte for this. I tried contacting gigabyte but i doubt they'll be helpful.

I'm not much of a tech guy so maybe someone else could help me with this

Thanks in advance :)

Oct 27, 2024
You said it was worse before.. I don't know how much worse it can be but what this screenshot is showing is horrible. im gonna stress test mine and post it tomorrow for you to see.

Did you replace the pads or someone else did? What pads and what thickness? The thickness of thermal pads is different.

I'd say you need to do it again with quality thermal pads and proper size/thickness.
Well because i didn't wanna do it myself i let some computershop guy do it and tbh he has pretty damn good reviews on google so i thought it would be good but iguess not

i could call the guy tomorrow and ask him if he can double check it? although i am abit late for that now since i let him do it 1-2 years ago

Alright thanks i'll try to figure something out
that image indeed shows that it needs repaste
but, what cooler your GPU has, is the two/three fan version, or one small fan (blower) ?
as the blower (reference) cooler can also reach 110C junction with gpu temp at 90+, but at 220watt load
yours maxes out at 90 watts due to thermal throttling, so if you have reference model, it will thermal throttle anyway, but it has to start throttling at much higher gpu clock/wattage
small.png

heres reference 5700xt

if it was repasted as you said, then heatsink isnt making proper contact with gpu die, could be incorrect mounting pressure or incorect pad thickness

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2024
that image indeed shows that it needs repaste
but, what cooler your GPU has, is the two/three fan version, or one small fan (blower) ?
as the blower (reference) cooler can also reach 110C junction with gpu temp at 90+, but at 220watt load
yours maxes out at 90 watts due to thermal throttling, so if you have reference model, it will thermal throttle anyway, but it has to start throttling at much higher gpu clock/wattage

Gigabyte5700xt gaming oc (it has 3 fans)
small.png

heres reference 5700xt

if it was repasted as you said, then heatsink isnt making proper contact with gpu die, could be incorrect mounting pressure or incorect pad thickness

mzhiglov

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
it shouldnt thermal throttle
the only time it shouldn't thermal throttle is when the card's sensors area reading tolerable junction temperatures and in OP's case - it is not. The thermal throttling is based on the Junction Temperature because it is more reliable and effective. If OP's card didn't throttle itself, it would have been toast by now.

Replacing thermal pads on GPUs is a very delicate job. It can a few attempts to get it right but from reading here and there, once people open their cards, it's just never the same anymore. Gigabyte never released the official thickness of the pads they used but from various sources, it's .5mm and 1mm pads. The alignment is critical as well as the applied pressure. I might just be lucky with my card but I have a very good case with plenty of airflow. It will be 4 years old in December and to this day, it never exceeded 80*C. The hottest I've seen it is like ~75*C (junction). I can't imagine living with a card that literally bakes itself.

I can't imagine living with a card that literally bakes itself.
i had one which was baking itself with stock cooler, it was msi 1070ti armor. i did slap on it kraken g12 aio mount paired with artic freezer 240mm aio which still had asetek block compatible with G12, since temperatures dropped below 60C, i did put on it vbios from gaming x which had higher wattage limits (same pcb/vrm, just armor has weaker cooler)