Question GPU issue? Graphical issues/ crashing/ artifacting.

Apr 9, 2023
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI
PSU: CORSAIR RM1000
RAM: 4x 8GB

ISSUE
My PC has been having graphical issues the past few days that came out of nowhere.
I had my computer on the desktop screen and I wasn't running anything on the PC, I look up and there are these green (on one monitor, blue on the other) squares on the screen and am unable to move the mouse or get any output from the keyboard/mouse. The PC then blue screened but happened so fast that I couldn't see the code before it crashed completely. I restarted the PC and it booted now with white lines across the screen and one monitor that wouldn't get singal. so I reset it again to see and it turned on fine but all I had to do was wait about 5 minutes then the same problem arose. Came back an hour later after trying all methods below and opened Farcry 6 since it's graphically intensive and left it on pause for 30 mins, came back and PC was still on but as soon as I moved the mouse and the screen updated then it all happened again.

DIAGNOSIS
I proceeded to reseat the GPU, reset CMOS, reseat the RAM, try the second slot in the motherboard but all to no avail.

Also tried putting the GPU into my roommates rig which it worked but proceeded to hard crash when trying to load a game which could have been from his oc setup, I don't know. but the PC would then not boot and would give a 9E error code on the MOBO.

Put it back into my PC and still having the same issues and want to make sure it's the GPU or anything else that i could try before I decide getting a new one.

IMAGES
View: https://imgur.com/a/605Oiep

Aug 26, 2023
By it having visual artifacts and crashing another PC I kind of think it's the 3080 itself, but if you have another card to try in your rig I would, just to make sure.

Was the card new or used, have you had it for a bit? Sometimes you may need to replace the thermal paste.

Could be a driver issue, I would reinstall the drivers or maybe even reset the PC, though if you want to keep your stuff I would only do that as a last resort.

Try what you're able to and let us know here what happens, and I'll try to help you.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
^ In addition, do you have any components overclocked? If so set to default, and test again.

In fact, just go into bios and do a reset/default on the bios. What bios version are you running. Given you've cleared CMOS, I'm thinking it's the latest version?

Given it's on two monitors, you can more or less rule out cables. As suggested, it's pointing to the GPU itself.

Reactions: PCBuilder574
Apr 9, 2023
Card was new, got it back in 2020
Manufacturer Warranty is good until Sep 2024 but i dont have the box or receipt.
I reinstalled the Video Drivers and I do not have any overclocked components.
I haven't looked at bios update

New update.
I got a neighbor to try his GPU (2080 Super) in my pc and I stress tested the GPU and it didn't crash, then tried running Farcry for an hour and still didn't crash or show artifacting.
I put my GPU into his pc and it wouldn't show a display until I restarted the pc a few times and it booted to windows but then it black screened and wouldn't boot after a few more tries. He also had a pcie riser cable but I don't think it was that (even if it was a different gen) since the display worked then shut off.

I'm definitely thinking it's a GPU problem.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 26, 2023
Manufacturer Warranty is good until Sep 2024 but i dont have the box or receipt.

New update.
I got a neighbor to try his GPU (2080 Super) in my pc and I stress tested the GPU and it didn't crash, then tried running Farcry for an hour and still didn't crash or show artifacting.
I put my GPU into his pc and it wouldn't show a display until I restarted the pc a few times and it booted to windows but then it black screened and wouldn't boot after a few more tries. He also had a pcie riser cable but I don't think it was that (even if it was a different gen) since the display worked then shut off.

It sounds like a GPU issue for sure if the other card is performing fine.

Only thing I can recommend at this point is to contact the seller and see what they say, beyond making sure your card is clean and such.

New update.

Yup, everything points to that!

It sounds like an issue with the VRAM. How old is your RTX 3080? Most of them will be out of warranty by now but if yours isn't, then send it back for an RMA.

If it's out of warranty, you could take it to a PC repair shop and see if they can do anything with it. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but there's a good chance that your card's life is about to end.

Apr 9, 2023
The RMA was exactly what I was trying next. It's an ASUS card and I don't have the purchase date but the serial number stated that it was covered under manufacturing warranty until Sep 2024. I haven't taken it apart or changed anything to it and it still has the warranty void sticker on the screw which is odd that there is one but hey I won't ask, it's still there.

I contacted ASUS and put in a RMA while stating what was happening to my system, and they contacted within a few hours and accepted it.

Now just hoping it really was the GPU and that they can replace/fix the current one.
Until then, thank you all for the much needed help! Take care

Apr 9, 2023
Something short I can add on to the issues is that when I'd even tap the GPU while it was running, artifacting would show/ hard crash of the system and cause a reboot. Maybe that could diagnose the problem inside the card, pins maybe?

I know a fair bit about computers just not the actual internal make-up of the PCB and all that.
My degree in aerospace and mechanical engineering will help with that soon though haha!

TRENDING THREADS