GPU ivy bridge and gpu card use

Davefromcamp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I don't know about much about intels gpu, was reading about ivy bridge allowing 3 monitor support and was wondering was this using the gpu on the die? Would it be possible to use the gpu for one monitor and my PC I card for the other? If so would this unload some band with, stress off my video card? Thanks

Hello davefromcamp;

Ivy Bridge and it's iGPU can support 3 monitors without a dedicated card.

With your .... ???? ..... dedicated video card you can another monitor or two (maybe 3 depending on the make/model).

What's up with your 'unload bandwidth / stress' off the dedicated video card? It's not exactly clear what you're asking.

Davefromcamp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

So i meant would it be better use to have one monitor off the cu and one off the gpu card to decrease th work of the gpu on the card, assuming having 2 monitors was more work than just 1.

With the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors and using a board that support the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor); you can use the graphics ports off the motherboard for display support from the IGP and than run additional displays off from a dedicated video card. There really is much to it as long as the IGP is enabled from the Bios for support and something like Lucid's software isn't changing the set up.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team