Question GPU loses power on boot but cpu doesn't.

juanmig0710

Honorable
Jan 27, 2018
Just recently bought a brand new p550b gigabyte psu and 2nd hand RX 580 4GB and installed it immediately on pc.

1st Try:
PC booted normally but after 5 seconds gpu dies. (fans stopped running)

2nd Try:
GPU fans are a bit slow when booting then after 3-5 seconds I heard a faint bzzt sound then dies but other components are working properly. (still no display)

Am I missing something? Should I uninstall current integrated graphic drivers first before installing another one? Reset CMOS first?

Can someone help me figure out the problem? I'm guessing motherboard's a bit old now (been using it for almost 3 years and a half) and its draws little power now for gpu. Or it could just be a gpu problem only.

SPECS:

Processor: AMD A8-7680
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1
Ram: 8gb 1600mhz
Gpu: Powercolor RX 580 4gb
PSU: p550b gigabyte

Lutfij

Titan
Pertaining to your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on for the board?

2nd hand RX 580 4GB
That was probably a bad idea since cards of that generation were used heavily for mining. You should've also looked into a 650W unit as opposed to a 550W unit. To also add, I wouldn't trust Gigabyte with my money when it comes to purchasing a PSU since they're not reliably built. Can you try and work with another PSU that's reliably built and has 650W of power at the entire system's disposal?

Did you use DDU to remove your older GPU drivers, then dropped in your discrete GPU to then manually install your GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?