Question GPU may be overheating ?

Weirdorigins

Prominent
Mar 15, 2023
Hi, I have an RTX 2060 paired with a Ryzen 5600X. I've been noticing that the GPU is getting to about 75⁰c which I think is fine, but the Hotspot is getting to about 90⁰c. I got the 2060 factory sealed about 2-ish years ago. I'm wondering if it's due to the card having been sat on a shelf for a while before I got it, is it possible the thermal paste is degraded?

Aug 16, 2024
Depends on what tasks your pc does the temps are like that. If it's gaming without limited frame rates or extra demanding games/tasks then it is hella safe. For reference my 3060 ti goes 55-60c and hotspot average 80-85c when playing demanding games capped at 60fps or rendering. Though i undervolted the gpu and you can try undervolting also using MSI Afterburner. Wİthout undervolting my gpu goes to 70c and hotspot reaches 100c.

Reactions: Weirdorigins

Weirdorigins

Prominent
Mar 15, 2023
Depends on what tasks your pc does the temps are like that. If it's gaming without limited frame rates or extra demanding games/tasks then it is hella safe. For reference my 3060 ti goes 55-60c and hotspot average 80-85c when playing demanding games capped at 60fps or rendering. Though i undervolted the gpu and you can try undervolting also using MSI Afterburner. Wİthout undervolting my gpu goes to 70c and hotspot reaches 100c.
I was looking at undervolting but msi afterburner has that slider locked for me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was looking at undervolting but msi afterburner has that slider locked for me.
Undervolting is redundant. Moving the power limit slider down accomplishes the same goal while not introducing the potential for instability. Plus, the dynamic behavior Nvidia's built in Gpu Boost algorithm makes it very hard to validate stability except when user-applied settings are too aggressive; it does some autocorrect of its own.

The voltage slider in AB isn't for undervolting. It's for suggesting the gpu, "Hey, you can use more voltage to reach higher bins on your voltage/frequency curve if all parameters are acceptable.", but it may not do so for various reasons.
Undervolting requires going into the Curve Editor, but as mentioned, using the power limit slider is the superior method.