GPU Mobo compatability

Zoopal

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
So im not very good with computers and I have ran into a problem that has me stumped. I am upgrading my old compaq so i can actually play the games i like at a reasonable framerate, ive decided to get the Intel pentium g3258 and the ASRock z97m anniversary mobo. I have an Nvidia Geforce 7900GS that i was planning on using.

My problem is that the computer builder website i am using says that my Nvidia graphics card will not be compatible with my new motherboard. However my graphics card is a PCI express and the ASRock mobo has PCI express slot.

I do not understand why it would not be compatible, if anybody could explain to my why my old graphics card will not work with my new mobo im planning to get i would really appreciate it.

Im looking to keep upgrades low as well so if it really isnt compatible any links to mobos with 1150 socket size that can use my Geforce graphics card would be also be very much appreciated.

It may be important to know that i also plan to upgrade my processor to one of the i5 quad core intel series

Solution
as long as your mobo has a PCI-E x16 slot you will be good. all you need is the motherboard to have a PCI-E x16 slot and your GPU which is compatible with the slot. Once you upgrade to a Intel i5 CPU you will have a bottleneck in performance, the GPU will be slow for that CPU.

Winly

Distinguished
as long as your mobo has a PCI-E x16 slot you will be good. all you need is the motherboard to have a PCI-E x16 slot and your GPU which is compatible with the slot. Once you upgrade to a Intel i5 CPU you will have a bottleneck in performance, the GPU will be slow for that CPU.

Solution