[SOLVED] GPU-MOBO Compatibility

speedboat1

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
hi all,

my old GTX 770 has gone to the great GPU island in the sky, and i'm looking at getting a replacement. so i have a twofold question: compatibility and recommendations. here are my system specs:
  • MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
  • CPU: i7 4770K 3.5 (liquid cooling)
  • RAM: 4x Corsair LP 8GB DDR4(?)
  • PSU: thermaltake toughpower 750 (brand new)
  • 2x spinning drives, 2x SSDs
  • GPU: GTX 770 (RIP)
i was eyeing the GTX 1660 SUPER. would this be compatible or otherwise strain the health of my elderly motherboard? MOBO and CPU are both 7-8 years old, same as the 770 was. i've paged through some of the threads on the topic and i suspect the answer will be "no problem, don't worry," but i want to verify since i didn't see a post on my specific motherboard. the death of my GPU was preceded by some crashes that appeared to be GPU-related but if there are suggestions for how to check health of MOBO, happy to hear them too.

also, any better/other recommendations in the high $100s to low $200s? this will be used for a mix of gaming, 3d modeling, and occasional rendering.

thanks much for your two cents!

Solution
Your GTX 770 was a whole lot more demanding than the new card. The GTX 770 was a 230W (TDP) card. No, there won't be any extra strain on the board than there was with the 770. And yes, the 1660S would be an excellent choice if you want to stay with Nvidia.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your GTX 770 was a whole lot more demanding than the new card. The GTX 770 was a 230W (TDP) card. No, there won't be any extra strain on the board than there was with the 770. And yes, the 1660S would be an excellent choice if you want to stay with Nvidia.

Solution

speedboat1

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
thanks, this is very helpful! i actually seem to have necro'd the 770, though it's behaving oddly, so i'm going to open a separate thread about troubleshooting that.